The mkiv Supra Owners Club

peugeot 306 xsi does not idle

nuttynutz

1997 old type 306 xsi.

started the car. didnt strugle to start. but there was NO idling at all, once i release the gas pedal, the revs drop straight down and the car cuts out.

the cold weather definatly affecting this i think as this car used to be always garaged until yesterday. i tried to take the car round the block, and pratically everytime i braked the revs drop and cuts out before i can finish the turn and gas back up.

funny thing is, after getting back. left the car on drive for 5 mins, started the car again. and it was fine. idling at about 800

anyone know what could be wrong? will check tomorrow again to see if the same problem happens.

thanks

I hope for your sake this isn't similar to my dad's 1999 306 LX.

He had a very similar problem, but the other way round. The car would decide to idle at about 4000 RPM !!!, very embarrasing for the poor chap at traffic lights :D

He had the idle stepper motor changed (twice!), this didn't fix it. he had a replacement ECU fitted (apparently a common fault) this helped, but didn't cure the problem entirely, just reduced the frequency of the problem. This all came about after an earthing strap broke. he never got it completely fixed, just got rid of the car.

The garage that bought it thought they had the last laugh when they bought it off him for peanuts.

sorry I can't help any further, could try checking all the earthing as a starter for 10.

Mike