The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cleaning Engine? Steam Clean? Good Or Bad?

Al_Lilley

hi...im new here and i got my first supra today...its a '93 jap na....and was hoping for some advice on cleaning my engine....bein 13yr old it aint as clean as it used to be.....and i want a clean engine bay.....has anyone got any advice...steam cleaning...or doin it manually.....with abit autoglym engine cleaner and a painters radiator brush.....and parts i shud neccessarily cover with cling film etc....any advice wud be appreciated...thanx

avoid all electrics, cover anything ya not sure of with plastic bags and rubber bands!! you should be able to steam underside of bonnet, bulkhead, engine block and head, avoid getting to much water around spark plug cover, use a decent plastic cleaner on the electric boxes etc. autoglym engine cleaner good just make sure you do wash it all off fella:)

welcome to the club mate:hello:

thanks for the advice and the welcome....think im guna do it manually.....shud i cover the pulleys and the belt?.....guna use autoglym engine cleaner with a soft radiator brush and rinse with water...shud i do this with the engine NOT runnin and mop up any pools of water with kitchen roll and let it dry naturally?

With the amount of sophisticated electronic equipment situated in the engine bay of the Supra, I'd avoid spraying it with water at all costs even if I had covered it up.

Personally, a car with a slightly grubby engine bay but that runs, is far preferable to one with a gleaming engine bay that doesn't.

Your call :D

• 2 weeks later...