The mkiv Supra Owners Club

am i using to much fuel

Taylor

I have an n/a and i am using 97ron fuel however i am only getting bout 140 miles to £40. Does this seem right? most of my trips are less then 10 miles with the odd longer trip thrown in, i have 1 cat removed and also a hks induction kit.

p.s dont all jump on me about you dont buy a car like this if you are bothered about fuel!! its not an issue because i can afford it plus i only do bout 8k a year, but some peaple seem to be getting almost twice this or is this my imagination!!!

just dont want to find out i have a problem a few months down the line!

it idles when warmed up at bout 800revs and about 1200 when started. it seems to tick over fine and purss like...well a supra! also i aint got a lead foot well not 90% of the time!!!:D

i get abot 250 to 300 miles out of a full tank, which is about 55 > 60 quid.

dont actually no for sure long since ive filled it right up.

this is on motorways at around 70 mph

140 for 40 quid is bad. but if you drive it hard you can expect way less than that matey. its what comes with having a 3 litre straight 6 24v

I would have thought the short journeys would kill the mpg. I have a 307 hdi which averages 48mpg but the first part of journeys the computer shows about 25mpg. Its only when the car is up to temperature does it run more economically.

mine is well above 14mpg and more around 22 - 24 mpg average driving with stints. Motorway im up to about 27-28mpg.

Most had from a tank is 380. I only fill up £20 stints as i dont see point in carrying all that extra weight around!

Well i can tell you the sensors are £107 from toyota and there 2 of them :faint: as i think mine have gone. waiting for mkivstore on here to open to see how much they can do them for.

If your exhaust doesnt smell of petrol may not be them. You can clean the sensors first though that may help, very easy to do

cheers for that. like i say its only costing me 25-30 a week cos i do low milage but even so if its using more than it should it could cause probs in the long run, is there anywhere that could change the fueling if it is out or is that a silly thing to say!!!:p

what id do if it was me;

Remove lamba sensors (12 mill spanner or socket set be easier!) 2 bolts on each just below heat shield you cant miss the the 2 sensors.

When they come out they will be covered i ncarbon most likely wipe off what you can then put them in lemon juice for a few hours to remove any build up. After dry them out and replace, then pull the EFI fuse to reset the ECU, let it idle and see how the mpg is then.

If you do a search on 'ecu reset' youll find out how to do it :)

Before you spend loads of time and money checking the ECU etc. check your ODO is reading correctly. My TT did 14mpg until I discovered a double conversion of kilometres to miles. 14mpg x 8/5 = 22.5; not so bad. It's worth a look. If you're only getting 14mpg, you've got a leak or you live on a race track.

Variations on this are driving between two places that you know the real distance between... Motorways have markers on them you can use. You're looking for a huge error here, not just 5% or something.

Alternatively, dismantle the dashboard and look at all the junped wires and see what's wired to what and how many little black boxes you can find.