The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Temperature sender

Paul

On my rover 420 there are two sender type things that are fitted to the thermostat housing.

The upper one has two terminals on it and the fan switches on when it's unplugged, the lower of the two has a single spade connection and I'm sure this is the temp. gauge sender as the gauge shoots up when the wire going to this is touched on the earth.

Does this sound correct, the single spade/lower one being the gauge sender, if so then what's the other one for??

Paul

Cheers Mig, thought so but wanted it confirmed.

Bugger, I got a new sender from a Rover guy in Swindon as I couldn't get one local but the twat has sent the wrong one!!!

Thanks anyway, wanted to make sure so it looks like I know what I'm on about when I don't:D

Right then, got correct sender and fitted it today.

All seems well, the gauge goes to just below halfway when the car is at a standstill but the problem is it drops down to the cold line when moving?

Surely the engine temp can't drop that dramatically when there's airflow?

The gauge doesn't go to the rest position (as in with ignition off) but drops to the line. When you stop again it goes back up to the middle.

The Supra and other car remain around midway regardless of airflow so is this just a crappy Rover thing?

Tested the gauge by earthing off the wire and it shoots up to max.

Can anything else cause this or could it be an iffy gauge?

Paul