The mkiv Supra Owners Club

losing it in an N/A?

Fifty

:D

Like most of you Ive read all the stories about losing the back end in TTs

due to power from tubby 2 . I just wondered if anyone had had the tail end go on an N/A? If not would this confirm the problem is definitely power related?

sorry if this is a dumbass question.:rolleyes:

Incidentally mine has not done it so far - touch lots of wood.

Lost the back end of mine big time a couple of weeks ago weeks ago :scare: exiting a roundabout on to motorway slip road, put the power down and out she went . All I could see was grass verge one side , then as it swung back other way armco barrier, still not sure how I manged to save it ,

3 years i`ve had her, she stepped out a couple of times, nothing as spectacular as that though. Have to say really frightened the crap out of me !!! :faint:

Spun my NA twice in my year & a bit ownership.

First one a few weeks after I got it - gave it too much boot exiting a roundabout and spun it on a (thankfully empty) dual carriageway.

Second time, the back end let go in the wet at about 15mph on a tight bend - managed to do a 360 spin & keep going, scary but fun.

Yep, perfectly possible to get the back end out in an NA; deliberately :D or not :blush:. In the winter with slippery roads you have to be careful in any rear wheel drive car.

I have RLTC fitted to my NA and it makes a very friendly everyday car. In the wet you know that you're not going to spin by mistake... and in the summer you can drift beautifully off roundabouts...like you did it all yourself!

As an aside most NA's have an open diff... is this more or less controllable with the back out than with a LSD?

So its a function of design ie RWD , setup - suspension, tyre type and size and driver input as much as anything then.

What gives me the willies sometimes are those stories that this happens without warning when the driver does nothing untoward and I just cant see how that is?

:innocent:

Nothing to do with the car it's all down to the driver, obviously tyres do have a factor but if people dont put decent tyres on then your just asking for trouble, I was silly as my I failed my mot as all my tyres were low, yet I did not lose it once or have any scares at all (touch wood I wont!) and in the wet too.

I'll stick my neck out and say most of the time the back comes out unexpectedly it's because there is too much throttle for the conditions. Although of course there is no accounting for an oil spill on your favourite corner.

Lift-off oversteer can be a bit more scary, as it can happen when you think you've done nothing wrong (of course you have, lifted-off to quickly!), but still not much you can do about it until it tucks back in. Hopefully with a properly set up car it should be fairly hard to get into this situation?

Edit: Yeah, like the others guys said. I'm too slow at typing!

I'm with you fifty and lmsy, I do find it very hard to believe that "it just spun at a low speed on a straight" etc, I'm guessing people are just not owning up to their mistake, thing is now though is that so many people are buying these cars and acting totally nieve to them, hardly anyone does track days or attempts to learn the basics in a car park etc, even with roundbaout incidents clearly your putting you foot down too early, cars don't just spin from turning.

The only reason people are loosing the back is because of the torque the supe makes but you can tell when the back is sliding, to get the car to go 180 that quite a lot of throttle needed.

I've tried the car out in car parks and I've found it pretty hard to spin I must say.

And from what I've read it's mostly auto's that are spinning.

average cars arn't powerful or rwd, which makes it totally the driver,

scenario

2 cars entering a bend one fwd the other rwd, they both sweep round the bend at 40mph, no matter what the condition the rwd isn't just going to spin off the road, why would it?? it only would if the driver provoked it to, ie more throttle, it's all down to the driver, no one else is telling the car what to do.

You dont get average cars jumping off the road like the Supra seems too

not being funny but since when was the supra an average car? Bet a similar question has been asked a thousand time on sxoc. It's simple - if you drive to suit the conditions youre in, this isn't going to happen. People clearly just don't realise how hard they're putting their foot down sometimes.

When my car was on the dyno recently I found it pretty shocking how much power it was producing before I even started seeing positive boost!

average cars arn't powerful or rwd, which makes it totally the driver,

scenario

2 cars entering a bend one fwd the other rwd, they both sweep round the bend at 40mph, no matter what the condition the rwd isn't just going to spin off the road, why would it?? it only would if the driver provoked it to, ie more throttle, it's all down to the driver, no one else is telling the car what to do.

well exactly!

:yeahthat: We drive hairy-arsed rear wheel drive monsters! They need to be driven with respect. Both my spins were due to either stepping on the loud pedal too early, or carrying too much entry speed for the road conditions. If it's anywhere near damp, I'm so gentle on the throttle and even then I struggle getting out of side roads without lighting the rear wheels up to some degree. Getting more track time is something I'd like to do, but funds don't allow it right now and I don't particularly like the idea of buggerin' about in an empty car park learning to drift.

Bet a similar question has been asked a thousand time on sxoc. It's simple - if you drive to suit the conditions youre in, this isn't going to happen.

Yes it has;) always as winter approaches and lasts until March! and its usually people who have not owned RWD cars very long, its just a case of getting used to the driving style, although we can all get caught out by a bit of ice or diesel!

ok iv drive all sorts of car as i am in the motor trade and i have never JUST had the back end step out, if you know what you are doing you could get the back end out when ever you want,

if say you have a front wheel drive car and a rear wheel drive car and both go into a corner (off throttle) and then keep steering into the bend, then both cars boot it the front wheel drive car will want to go straight as the tyres loose grip, but in the rear wheel drive car as the rear wheels lose grip the back will start to come round that is if they both put foot to the floor,

its all about throttle controle, why have a big power rwd car if you think it will handle the same as a fwd it just ent going to happen.

I managed to lose the back end of mine (when it was an NA). It happened on a wet road, just as I was accelerating, and changing lanes! If you get on questionable surfaces, it's easy to hit that 'MANU' mode, for those automatic NA's out there. The gear shifting is sluggish, but at least it keeps the wheels from getting away from you.

The result of my 180 on Okinawa's Highway 58 was only a few dents and scratches. It cost me more to repair my Supra than it did to replace a whole dump-truck bumper!

Saying that... something 'bout smacking the back-end of a 2-Ton dump truck, while sliding sideways down a busy highway, makes you appreciate a small dent like that! Someone 'upstairs' was definitely looking out for me that day!

go-NATS

DCP_1494.JPG

DCP_1497.JPG