The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting a boost cut defender?

Sub_Culture

Without the FCD I get to 110mph then bang like its hitting a wall ! This normal when its disconnected, some popping from exhaust aswell !? You getting this Sub Culture?

There is a speed limiter (on cars originally sold in Japan) which prevents the car exceeding 180 kph, and there is a boost limiter which cuts the fuel in order to prevent what the manufacturer sees as excessive boost pressure -- two different things.

Not sure if there is confusion here? My car is delimited, but I think Im right in thinking that if I go BPU I need the TRL converter that I have bought to stop the turbos boosting over 1.2 bar. Is this right?

Andy

First bit correct Andy (Speed delimiting).

The ECU stops fuel if it senses more than 1 bar as a safety precaution. So you need a fuel cut defender to get round this - TRL ones are the best.

To stop the boost going more than 1.2 bar - you need a restrictor ring in the exhaust

Edit to say: you can still set the fuel cut to whatever you want on a TRL fuel cut defender, but best way to control boost is to use the restrictor ring. My TRL VFCC is set to 1.4 bar to take in account of boost spiking

Ro

No, that's fine, Ive got a restrictor ring to go on as well (between the two decat pipes I assume?).

Andy

Location varies with people, I don't think it really matters but I may be wrong. Some people have it between downpipe and 1st decat.

Mines between last decat and back box pipe.

A word of caution. A 1.2 bar restrictor ring may not neccessarilly restrict the boost to exactly 1.2 bar as no car is the same.

My first 1 bar restrictor ring was still making boost to 1.1 1.2 bar. I then replaced it with a ring with a smaller hole!

When you install the de-cats and ring, keep a good eye on the boost gauge!

:)

Cold weather will give you a higher boost as well with the restrictor ring. I am running 1.1-1.2 bar in winter and 1 bar and less in summer.

China

Yup, this is where a manual or electronic boost controller helps.

I use 1 bar for normal driving and a press of a button gives me 1.2 for extra fun!

I find permanent 1.2 bar becomes boring after a while so being able to switch boost from low to high is much more fun!

There is a speed limiter (on cars originally sold in Japan) which prevents the car exceeding 180 kph, and there is a boost limiter which cuts the fuel in order to prevent what the manufacturer sees as excessive boost pressure -- two different things.

Will stick the FCD back in morrow and give it a blast tomorrow Im expecting it to be ok once re fitted !!

BTW.... Simple way to disconnect the Speed Limit on a J-Spec:

Simply cut the a wire that goes into the odometer :-)

I think it should be enough if you cut the blue/red one... Thats 12v. If you cut this, your ODO won't work anymore but the Speed Limiter won't work either... Just for testing ;-)