The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fire Extinguishers for Supra, advice needed

KaoriFan

Don't think you can get Halon anymore can you? Think they're all powder based, but I'd rather clear up powder than replace the entire car.

The problem with Halon is its an Ozone depleater and I know there was some talk of banning it, but I don't know if that actually happened.

I've put the question to our airfield fire brigade, see what he comes back with, but he did say it was definately frowned on now (Halon that is, not carrying a fire extinguisher in your car)

cheers everyone for the info :D

i will go dry powder route, as its seems best from whats been said.

only reason i thought Halon it was the last technology i had seen on TV ( a few years ago).

thanks

Ian

p.s. good to see you Peter, will sort the stuff for you this week, now i am in the land of the walking, lol

From all reports I've had on engine fires everyone has said you may as well have just urinated on it as use one of those little extinguishers. Someone posted one here a while back with this comment too.

Probably depends on how fast you are to act. I'd still rather carry one and at least try to help. It's also important to aim properly.

its not as if your going to get electricuted , so i suppose it doesnt matter what you use .

fire needs three elements to burn .

fuel

oxygen

ignition , spark

take away any of these and you dont have a fire .

halon works on eliminating the oxygen , and as we breath this stuff , thats why it was removed from the oil instalations i used to work in .

the extinguisher was as bad as the fire