The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jap Performance Supra

Ian C

Hey all - there is a 675bhp Supra in this month's Jap Performance, silver one with some bodykittage. I don't think the owner is on here... Makes interesting reading - the first time the guy uses it in anger the alarm system, wastegate hoses, and bonnet melted from the turbo heat! Anyone else ever had that with their single install, I thought it was simple and obvious enough to route the hoses and shield everything important...? Losing wastegate control could have been nasty but I bet sorting the alarm and bonnet out would have cost some to fix...

Btw no-one show Digsy the oil catch can/breather thingy, he'd have a fit ;)

-Ian

Here is the page in question. I've highlighted the tale of woe. Like I said, it'd be interesting to know if anyone else has experienced such dramatic thermal events.

JPS just got the kit in apparently. Abbey did the mapping, which by all accounts seems OK. I think the page I've uploaded has the turbo kit installer named. I wonder who paid for the new alarm and hoses and bonnet and respray? Gosh, imagine if it had overboosted and wrecked an engine, or even worse, caught fire? Makes you think doesn't it.

-Ian

cockmeister.jpg

:confused: Hmmm out of all the singles supras, skyline ect ect, thats the first apart from gamers ( due to other reasons) i've heard of this. Added to the fact that the supra has quite a modest engine bay area, makes you think what has gone on.;) Wonder if some lines were fitted a tad to close to the heat source.

550 at 1bar i hope thats FW LOL

Guest Terry S

Anymore pics of that turbo, seems a little small for a 72 but may be the angle. I am sure this is the car that a guy I a gave a demo to had been in, and said mine was much quicker. He must have been being kind. Maybe a different car.

Oh I see...JPS supplied the kit...but the all important fitting was done by SlowDog.

So SlowDog, fitted a PHR Stage 3 to this Supra and then it melted anything near the turbo? Is that correct? Trust me to spot that I know...he must feel like I'm picking on him! :) :sly: :taped:

How did you get a time then? stop watch?

Yeah, and using the video footage we took to estimate from the bridge at the start to the gantry at the end, Aron did a 8.50~ time with me and a few others following and that wasnt the quickest run we did that day thats for sure, that was more of a spirited drive with 3 of us going out together.