The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Toyota Dealer Policy on Imports

Jiversteve

I just visited my local Toyota Dealer to order some parts for both my Supra and my Celica, (both imports).

The Dealer was Toll House Toyota, of Crawley, Sussex.

Their parts departments immediate reaction to my request, when presented with the Chassis number, was "Imported piece of rubbish"

I was about to have a stand up row with him when I remembered that I really needed the parts and they are Toyota specials.

I have sent them an email asking what their policy was, but I really dont expect a reply. I might have that argument anyway when I have got the parts in my hand.

I thought this attitude was dead and buried, but it still seems to thrive. I wonder if it is still pevalent in other Toyota dealerships.

It varies from dealership to dealership. I've found it is much easier to get a part if you go in with the actual part number (easy to do if you post up a request on here or have a copy of EPC). Toyota have a parts depot in Belgium and can get most items within three working days.

They will also have the J-Spec EPC so in reality all they have to do is change one option when they fire it up and bang in your model and frame numbers and away you go. One thing that the Toyta systen will not do with imports is automatically select the correct service if you give them your model number and mileage. The dealer has to manually pick the correct service from a drop down list and quite ofetn they get it wrong.

My local Toyota dealer is as good as gold for parts. Try cutting out the parts desk guy as much as possible by asking for specific part numbers. If he still gives you attitude then find another dealer.

Incidentally, if it's an "imported peice of crap" then you might want to remind him that Toyota is actually based in Japan. :)

Don't forget Nic too.

With that attitude they don't deserve your business :thumbdown:

If you need anything urgently speak to Steve Manley. If you can wait a few weeks, then contact me, as I should be able to save you quite a bit of money on most Toyota parts (including delivery).

My Toyota 'dealer' has called mine a *parallel import* a couple of times.

I go with the chassis number and usually with the part numbers as well, but the parts guy still grumbles and moans.

It's even more funny because mine is UKSpec.:D

These dealers are a sad breed and they will die like the dynosaurs...

My local dealer even said that fitting car matts to my collegues Celica isnt possible as his car was imported from EUROPE! :lol:

It sucks, but you know why they're doing it, because you didnt buy the car through them. I guess to them its like someone buying pirate software and expecting you to support it, and as its J-spec it complicates their systems/proceedures etc.. thats probably something like their excuse anyway.

Our local Toyota dealer is Beadles in Gillingham, so long as you have the model and chassis number they will get you any part you order, there are 3 blokes working in parts and each one is just as helpful. We even get 10% discount now.

My local dealer even said that fitting car matts to my collegues Celica isnt possible as his car was imported from EUROPE! :lol:

It sucks, but you know why they're doing it, because you didnt buy the car through them. I guess to them its like someone buying pirate software and expecting you to support it, and as its J-spec it complicates their systems/proceedures etc.. thats probably something like their excuse anyway.

I thought the UK Supras were only sold through Lexus dealerships though.

If that's the case they should treat UK supes with the same disdain that they reserve for us.

Mike