The mkiv Supra Owners Club

head gasket blown: worth fixing?

stevie_b

My daily driver (Rover Metro, yes, don't laugh) has just blown its head gasket I think. It really drinks coolant, and the oil around the filler cap and dipstick looks like mayonnaise.

Now, I could get this repaired, but how likely is it that other damage would, have been caused as well? It overheated only once, but when it happened the temperature needle was nearly off the scale before I could stop safely.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth repairing, or whether HG failure is likely to lead to other problems.

Edit: it's done about 80,000 miles, K reg, and I know the history so I know it hasn't been abused. Bodywork is good too (unlike 95% of metros of this age)

Another K series head gasket bites the dust :( Useless crap they are.

I'm changing the head gasket on the k series engine in my Mrs' FreeLander at the moment. TBH it's not too bad of a job on the Freelander, I bet the Metro is more of a challenge though.

Good luck

As long as it didn't overheat and warp the head it should be a simple job.

I'd say worth it to do yourself, but too expensive for a garage.

I just sold our N reg 1.1 Rover 100 for 400 quid at 64k miles and FSH.

I always thought if the gasket went I'd source a 1.4 engine and ECU cheap and do a swap for fun.

isn't it an A+ engine in a 1992. If so its an easy job, just flush the engine well.

Jake's right. My metro (and those from about 1990 onwards) has the K series lump.

Pete: £400 with only 64k on the clock sounds like a bargain! I've looked in Autotrader and eBay (in case I decide to cut my losses on the metro), and similar cars are up for £600 or so. That's what haggling's for, I guess.

Edit: how can you tell if the head's warped? I've only got the "standard" DIY tools, i.e. no machining equipment etc.

Pete: £400 with only 64k on the clock sounds like a bargain! I've looked in Autotrader and eBay (in case I decide to cut my losses on the metro), and similar cars are up for £600 or so. That's what haggling's for, I guess.

Edit: how can you tell if the head's warped? I've only got the "standard" DIY tools, i.e. no machining equipment etc.

I sold it to someone I knew at work. It was worth more to me as a spare car to be honest, 400 quid is naff all. Oh, and it had no tax...but 12 months MOT.

Only way you can tell if it's warped is by sending it off as it may only be minutely out. It's probably not worth the cost then. Ring a local engineering firm and see if they can give you a cost estimate - it may only be a few quid if that's all you want them to check.

I'm changing the head gasket on the k series engine in my Mrs' FreeLander at the moment. TBH it's not too bad of a job on the Freelander, I bet the Metro is more of a challenge though.

Good luck

I'd like to have a go at it myself. I was looking at the Haynes manual last night, and it seems OK, apart from the bit where you have to make sure that the crankshaft is at the correct position before you take the top cover off. I don't know what the "correct position" should be, how I can tell it's in that position, or how I can move it into that position.

Can anyone shed any light on this? Any help is much appreciated.