The mkiv Supra Owners Club

LSD's.....

Alex

So the Limited Slip Differential's (Arn't you impressed that I knew what LSD mean't!)

I assume the supra comes with one due to me not burning rubber when I go round a corner...... Is it any good (the stock item) is the TRD the best and if I fit a newer better one, how will my driving experience change. I assume its all in the setup. Something like if you lock it down then the car becomes more nimble yet your grip is reduce when accelerating (out of corners or from a standstill) and visa versa?

Go on then hit me with hcost as well.......

Alex

99% of Supras come with LSDs, mine didnt as its the Nova Merit of the Supra range. It took us a while to work out exactly what to look for on the axle code but what you need to check for is the last letter of the axle code. If its something like b03b (with the last B being the important one) then you have an LSD, if it ends in an A then you dont have an LSD. The axle code is on the VIN plate which is under the bonnet on the turbo side of the engine.

There is almost no point in upgrading your LSD. Until you run really serious power the stock one will work fine. Leon dropped a UK spec LSD into his as it has a seperate oil cooler but then he is running a fair bit of power.

The one disadvantage of the LSD, and it gets worse the tighter the LSD, is that once the car loses grip on a wheel it just keeps the power going to both wheels which means a minor tail slide becomes a lurid one. I had gotten used to my car without an LSD so if I felt it slip then I just kept my foot down and waited for the grip to come back. I tried that with the LSD when I was at pod and found myself staring sideways at the wall at 80mph.

JB