The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Apexi Japan goes bust...

Gaz Walker

I have been reliably informed that Apexi Japan (now known as Apexera) have shut, only one year after being saved from Bankruptcy.

This now has major supply problems on all traders as Japanese wholesalers are holding onto stock and charging upto twice as much for parts held in stock.

We don't have much left, just air filters really and our recent most order is proving hard to get.

Regards,

Gaz.

Whats happening are the Japanese government tightening up on car regs. More road side checks etc???

Nah, they barely enforce anything car related other than speeding. And even then you can do 50 km/h over the speed limit without being prosecuted ;)

Its because of the manufacturers building cars that people no longer want to modify (as much).

Regards,

Gaz.

We are actually quite lucky in the UK, a lot of other countries will not allow anything like the level of road car mods we can get away with here. This has probably had a significant impact on the Jap aftermarket performance market, it was probably no surprise Apexi first deleted their "hard core" tuning parts, before throwing in the towel with the rest of the stuff, too. sad, Apexi made some good stuff. Glad my Motec is under way for my Skyline, the Power FC may become a museum piece shortly!

We are actually quite lucky in the UK, a lot of other countries will not allow anything like the level of road car mods we can get away with here.

Too true.

We do have to pay handsomely for it though - we have high taxes, fuel, road fund license etc etc. And crap roads ;)

Regards,

Gaz.

I don't think that future EU regulations will be sympathetic to non-approved car mods.

Think about it: every Dick and Harry can fit a dangerous spoiler or 22"wheels and turn their car into a deathtrap. How exactly can this be tolerated? How can it be regulated?

Not easily!

The easy way will be to enforce a blanket ban on such 'DIY' (ahem!) improvements.

i think it comes down to lack of sales in some cases

i.e bodykits, as soon as veilside etc make a new bodykit, is is normaly copied within weeks, then sold at a cheaper price.

how many people buy geniune kits if they know that a replica is cheaper, (only the ones that have proper fitting, of course)

Oh dear, would have thought the recent popularity of Jap car scene and D1 drifting etc would have given such companies a healthy return.

Taken over possibly by a Taiwanese company you say Nic, would this end up with inferior products being sold under the already well established Apexi/Apexera name tag???

Taken over possibly by a Taiwanese company you say Nic, would this end up with inferior products being sold under the already well established Apexi/Apexera name tag???

Possibly, but there are some good Taiwanese manufacturers, so I would hope that the quality will remain the same, but their manufacturing costs will be significantly lower. It really depends who is in charge.

Manufacturing costs is probably the reason why a lot of Japanese brands are struggling, it don't matter how popular your good are, if you're not making enough margin on the product. I suspect this is the real reason, as most of the Jap brands still produce in Japan which is VERY expensive. The only way a lot of these companies will survive long term is to either invest heavily in automated production, which is probably not an option given the relatively small numbers some of the parts are produced in or alternatively move their production to China.

The Japanese are a very proud people and so the thought of moving production from Japan is often not even considered. I've seen the same thing happen in the Toy industry (my former life), the ones that have moved their production are the ones still around.

Possibly, but there are some good Taiwanese manufacturers, so I would hope that the quality will remain the same, but their manufacturing costs will be significantly lower. It really depends who is in charge.

Manufacturing costs is probably the reason why a lot of Japanese brands are struggling, it don't matter how popular your good are, if you're not making enough margin on the product. I suspect this is the real reason, as most of the Jap brands still produce in Japan which is VERY expensive. The only way a lot of these companies will survive long term is to either invest heavily in automated production, which is probably not an option given the relatively small numbers some of the parts are produced in or alternatively move their production to China.

The Japanese are a very proud people and so the thought of moving production from Japan is often not even considered. I've seen the same thing happen in the Toy industry (my former life), the ones that have moved their production are the ones still around.

There is a good article on why the UK race car industry is in decline in this months Race Car Engineering. Series are in the main, at National level, for one make cars, generally bought in from abroad. To such an extent is this happening our home grown industry based on technical innovation and merit is in decline as series organizers spec a car and put it out to the lowest tenders., which ineveitably do not come from the UK.

I see, thats a shame.

I guess that can be seen the world over with many companies having to move elsewhere to keep production costs down and stay successful and if it were a blow to their pride to move they'd be many more well known brand manuacturers disappearing.

Yes it is a shame, it is us customers who want cheaper and cheaper prices for better and better products that force most companies to look for cheaper production just to stay competitive. China is now the global factory as a result.