The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Squeeking noise

Guest Aaron

Anyone have any ideas,

When I start car up from cold, it squeeks allot, If i rev her it squeeks louder but stops after a while, lots of smoke from exhaust, blueish white colour (oil????), had the cam belt changed about 3 months ago now. When the squeeking stops, it will start again when I turn the steering wheel!! Im well confused. I took it to the garage I had the belt changed and they said it was fine! After about 5 mins when the engine warms up the squeeking stops.

What can it be.

Regards Aaron

Storm blue, TT, 6xMan Jap Import 94'

It's the accessory belt squeeking, it drives the power steering pump amongst other things so that's why it squeeks when you turn the wheel - the pump puts up more resistance. Easy to change, Toyota charge a fortune for a new belt though, so you're better off getting a Gates one.

You sure the smoke's not just condensation this time of year? Does it smell of burning oil?

Thanks for the replys, Cound be condensation I guess, however I tend to smell some oil-like burning, might be my imagination.

The PAS fluid it to the top.

Thanks for the replys, Cound be condensation I guess, however I tend to smell some oil-like burning, might be my imagination.

Probably isn't, a small amount of blue smoke on cold start up is common in older higher mileage cars and indicates valve stem seal wear as already stated. Nothing to overly worry about in the short term.........