The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Newbie questions.......

andrew7

Hi guys,

Had my car since last March. Its now done 75K miles and is non-modified. Very few problems, changed belts, bushes, calipers, discs skimmed, etc. Enginewise has run like a dream.

Thought I had better change the plugs last week as I am the first UK owner and don't know when it was done last.

What surprised me was the plugs that were in there were one grade hotter than recommended.

On inspection they were a tad greyer than I would like, but no deposits or wear on them.

Does anyone know a reason why on earth you would put hotter plugs in a standard car?? Would it be to cover something up perhaps, misfire when cold or something?...I'm intrigued...

Have replaced them with the correct OEM equivalent grade (Brisk DOR15 LGS).

Ignition looked in good condition, coil packs were fine, but I'm having to replace the LT connectors which were glued to the coil packs and broke on removal. Toyota charge £6.00 each for these, which is more than 50% more expensive than the plugs!!!.

Car is running fine though..

Any thoughts?..

Thanks

Andrew

Either, A) To be on the safe side or in preparation for a future modification, or B) The car was originally modified and was returned to standard ready for export.

My car was a never-modified import. I beleived that for nearly a year until I started to modify it. I removed the cats, got 1.2 bar boost and never hit fuel cut. As I hadn't fitted a FCD this was a little puzzeling. That was until I went investigating and found my never-modified car had an uprated TOMS ECU in it! It seems that when you buy the TOMS ECU you have to exchange it for yours, so when the owner came to export the car he had all the original parts except the ECU.