The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My best mod so far!

Pete

Yesterday I completed what I think is the best mod to my TT so far.

I put standard 17" wheels on with new Goodyear Eagle F1s GSD3. (ok not exactly a mod!) It's transformed the car. It's smoother, steering doesn't jump on every bump and there's no shaking about 100mph. Totally smooooth!

On closer inspection of my 18" Volks it seems they did need hub adapters to fit (previously I didn't think they did). The tyres were pretty crap on the Volks too. This combined with a missing hub adapter on one wheel meant a pretty crap ride. I should've looked into it more closely before (kicking self)

It had been worrying me since I bought it and it did turn out to be the wheels like I thought. :clap:

I'm now well chuffed with my Supra. :thumbs:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's only one 17" OEM Supra wheel. Only hub caps changed during facelift.

So far I've taken off the Air filter back to the air box, the wheels have gone, the OEM side skirts are being done by Liam, so it'll look stock again (until I fit the TRD CF wing). I like the subtle original look.

Was just thinking about this while out today - Some members say that their cars run fine on 18's and others not. This obviously will be down to offsets and wheel weights, but I was wondering whether people feel that different tyres would make a difference due to stiffer/softer sidewalls. ie a 17" with a stiff side walled tyre would be more similar to an 18" with a softer side wall...

Just a thought

There's only one 17" OEM Supra wheel. Only hub caps changed during facelift.

quote]

There are differnt types of construction for the 17" rims one has a smooth inner the other has raised bracing at points round the inner rim?. I have one of each on for winter one for track. AFAIK one type was one sold on the UK car the other the JDM market.

If I was bothered about pulling birds, I'd have bought an Audi TT or some lame shit like that :rlol:

Hehe ye but Audi's dont pull girls.

Do your stock jobbies make your car handle like a 4wd ehh...? Better performance...? Does that make a real difference on the road? Do you race on the street?

IMHO Stocks wheels are great if you keep your car stock. Or if you want to run 1/4mile or for track days etc.

Thats why mine are in my back garden shed just incase. ;)

There are different types of construction for the 17" rims one has a smooth inner the other has raised bracing at points round the inner rim?. I have one of each on for winter one for track. AFAIK one type was one sold on the UK car the other the JDM market.

That's news to me! For all I know I've got a mix then. Strange to do different types.

Hehe ye but Audi's dont pull girls.

Do your stock jobbies make your car handle like a 4wd ehh...? Better performance...?

No rwd car is ever going to handle like a 4wd or gain initial traction like one either, whatever wheels/tyres you fit to it :boxing:

Stock smaller wheels = quicker 0-60 and less unsprung weight than a lot of heavy aftermarket 18/19" alloys. OK top end is sacrificed, but stock 16s/17s can make you quicker over the 1/4 mile :)

No rwd car is ever going to handle like a 4wd or gain initial traction like one either, whatever wheels/tyres you fit to it :boxing:

Stock smaller wheels = quicker 0-60 and less unsprung weight than a lot of heavy aftermarket 18/19" alloys. OK top end is sacrificed, but stock 16s/17s can make you quicker over the 1/4 mile :)

Yep glad you admitted that the 17's will NOT give you handling like a 4wd car, neither will you get the traction etc... goodlad.

My point is the stock 17's are not very attractive IMHO. Im sure that most members on here would agree that aftermarket wheels LOOK better.

We dont all street race like you so we dont all need to worry about Sacrificing milliseconds off our 0-60 times ;)

Like i said... If i ever do want to go to the pod and drag race i have my stock 17's at home in the shed.

...until then il be blinging along with my 19" Volks (with shit handling lol)

My point is the stock 17's are not very attractive IMHO. Im sure that most members on here would agree that aftermarket wheels LOOK better.

We dont all street race like you so we dont all need to worry about Sacrificing milliseconds off our 0-60 times ;)

I think you've taken this a little out of context Ray.

I don't street race. I don't worry about 0-60. I don't care about 'bling' factor.

I just want my car to drive well and the best way to do that is use the wheels the whole suspension was designed and setup for. :p

A lot of people are now buying MKIV's as a basis for the looks of big wheels and comic book body kits, which is fair enough, but there again a lot of us older folk don't worry about the perceived pose factor, we just want a car that doesn't give the "sweaty palms" handling that incorrect wheels and tyres and too low a ride height does. My Skyline came on daft sized tyres, which totally ruined the driving experience. Now with sensible 225 on the front, 245 on the rear, it's a different thing altogether. I couldn't have lived with it on wider rubber, it was a disaster. The difference between blingers and us old drivers is often polar, each to their own :)