The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blitz speed jumpers vs HKS sld

matt

If there is no price difference between them then I would go with the HKS one purely because it seems to be fairly standard for imported Supra's. There is no need to buck the trend just for the sake of bucking the trend when it comes to engine electronics. Go with what you know works. Better to be safe than sorry.

I have no experience of either as my replacement ECU has a built in de-limiter, so I am speking from a fairly blind and neutral perspective.

Please be careful about using an SLD on an auto. HKS have two types, one for manual and another very different type for the auto. Though I do know of people who have fitted the manual HKS SLD to the auto and it appears to work.

Though the big question in my mind is why the radical difference between the two? There has to be good reason for it. Unfortunately, because most of my time, to date, has been spent working on other aspects of the car, the gearbox electronics still remain something of a mystery.

Yours,

J

It defeats the 180kmh limit on imported Japanese cars, thereby enabling you to lose your license even quicker than in a limted car. See the "Delimitng - How to" thread elsewhere in this forum for more details...

My best guess would be that the gearbox ECU needs to know the true vehicle speed on the "wrong" side of the 180kmh limit for the kickdown to work properly, so the auto version of the SLD needs to talk to the gearbox ECU as well as the engine ECU.

Ash, just a quickie. I'm sure you are really busy but would you be able to e-mail me those auto box HKS SLD instructions before the end of next week? I'm probably going to JIC on Saturday 11th and I would like to wave them under their noses to see if I can get them to fit one for me.

Cheers,

Darren

The MKIV has an inbuilt speed cut at about 120mph. The UK car is a bit higher. An SLD is what is known as a Speed Limit Defencer. Fit one and you can keep on going beyond the point where speed cut would ordinarily come into play. Though I think they can only be fitted to the J-spec cars, I'm not sure on that one.

Yours,

J

Syed

Pull the TRAC fuse in the fuse-box area near the battery under the bonnet.

This will disable the traction control (a GOOD thing as the traction control is irritating bordering on dangerous) but it also *apparently* has the effect of removing the 156mph limit on UK cars.  

I did get *fairly* close to this in France recently (allegedly).   I pulled my TRAC fuse months ago.

regds

Syed

Take the Supe for a blast down the A5D from the Old Stratford.

You should be able to easliy reach 155/160 - I did it on a Sunday afternoon with no traffic therem the speedo read 160 well before the Stratford flyover, giving you plenty of time to wind down before the TMA junction

Dean..

I've seen 170 on the clock 2 .......but then I read about an average 9-12% speedo error on converted clocks ..still felt f*ckin fast tho' :wink:

........... b4 u ask....... I'm askin about sld's 'cos the car wasn't limited when I got it , then it started hittin it occasionally...... and now it won't go passed an indicated 125....... I figure a wire has come adrift from a poor quality conversion,

sooooooo have decided a proper sld is a good start....... and the Blitz version is about a tankful of gas cheaper !!