The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Another dying car!

Pig

App. my syncronisation has gone. When the car is idleing if it try to push it in 1st 2nd etc it wont go but if i try to push it in to 3rd (with out the clutch down btw) it grinds away! :) Great. I have heard i may need a new gear box? getting really fed up of these car bills cause it going to mean i cant pay any other bills soon! Oh and my power steering is fucking up too! Wouldnt work today then worked then didnt! Grrrr.

Oh and all this is on my vw polo! 02 reg!

Hopefully the 11th. really want it back this weekend as im in london but thats a bit hopeful! lol. Saw that your clutch was being silly. What a pain in the neck. Ever feel that your spening far too much of your money of cars! Im starting to wish i had just left the supra standard! its this bloody clubs fault! GRRRRR lol!

Hopefully the 11th. really want it back this weekend as im in london but thats a bit hopeful! lol. Saw that your clutch was being silly. What a pain in the neck. Ever feel that your spening far too much of your money of cars! Im starting to wish i had just left the supra standard! its this bloody clubs fault! GRRRRR lol!

I know what you mean, its a slippery slop and I won't to get off and actually drive the bloody thing.

Just bought RLTC aswell with launch control and full throttle gear change. Thats your fault.:stickpoke

you mean the synchromesh has gone? Doesn't that usually apply to each gear on it's own, i.e. synchromesh gone for 2nd gear is common, are you saying all of yours have gone at once?

sure that's not the oil or clutch?

No just 3rd gear! you seem to know...tell me more!!!!

I know what you mean, its a slippery slop and I won't to get off and actually drive the bloody thing.

Just bought RLTC aswell with launch control and full throttle gear change. Thats your fault.:stickpoke

haha, sorry mate! lol. I hope you are happy with it though when you do get the car sorted! talk about better late than never...at the end of winter! lol.

What going on with the clutch? is it gunna be fixed FOC?

No just 3rd gear! you seem to know...tell me more!!!!

oh ok, sorry I missunderstood your original post - so your 3rd gear synchro has gone so bad you have trouble getting into 3rd.

Well that's cheap on parts, probably large on labour. Depends if the box has to come out to be stripped down and replaced, I don't know as I've never looked into that that. On some cars this can be done without removing the whole gearbox. IMHO it's not a new box time whatever (if it is otherwise ok), this is a few pounds + labour costs. Not the end of the world mate :) just a PITA! I'd suggest find a local expert with a decent hourly rate and let them replace the synchro. Anyone know the man hours for this job?

really couldn't say about price, need an experienced mechanics estimate on the time factor, but since it's a polo => small gearbox, easy to remove :)

I do know that on a different car, a similar job was a few hundred pounds - and that was to replace a cog that had come off a shaft! So hopefully yours won't be too bad...