The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I've killed another engine!

Jake

I was taking my Mrs' W reg Land Rover 1.8 FreeLander to the tyre shop for some new rubber just now. Pootling along in traffic, about 35mph when suddenly there was a huge cloud of smoke behind me. I pulled over and the engine died immediately. Temp gauge showed normal.

I checked under the bonnet and found no water in the expansion tank (the only method of filling the rad) and lots of emulsified gunk in the cam covers and on the dipstick.

And here's the thing I really can't understand, the battery had gone completely flat. There wasn't even enough life in it to lock the doors. I checked the Aux belt, it's still there and looks in good condition.

So I guess I'm looking at a new head gasket at least, but can anyone suggest why it might have failed suddenly like this and why the battery died at exactly the same time?

Thanks

A POS! We could have told you that!!

Sorry to hear that Jake, as said I think it would best for all if you didn't own ANY vehicle for a few months (maybe you should lease one and send it back everytime you pop the engine ;) :p )

Oh dear! I like this from a land rover mechanic:

he simply said dont bother, "it will blow up, guarenteed"..He told me he and his collegues are deluded with Freelander work on a weekly basis, changing engines or head gaskets, apparentley this car went out to Joe Public with 15 known design faults...Absoloutley scandalous, so from a guy in the know unless you buy a TD4, walk away...His advice to me was buy a Honda CRV,

I've done a bit of reading up on this here and it seems that the problem is caused by a couple of design faults with the K series engine. Apparently the cylinder head uses plastic locating dowels which, unsurprisingly, offer bugger-all support and allow the head to move laterally. Also, the thermostat is located right at the engine's water intake and when a closed stat suddenly opens the engine suffers thermal shock from the rad-full of cold water.

The Lotus Elise (which also used the K series engine) owners are aware of these problems and offer this and this as solutions.

I think I'll give these parts a whirl. I don't want to join the legions of FreeLander owners who have had several failures and in some cases two replacement engines at their own expense.

can simpathise here jake the one moment i let my guard down when it comes to the wife buying a car and we ended up with a Rover 216, quote the wife "but its a luvely shade of purple" and to be fair it was but then EVERYTHING started to go wrong, wind screen wipers (front and rear) brake lights all off, blowing fuses, radiator gone, battery gone, boot flying open whilst driving, boot would'nt open, bits falling off and to cap it all the head gasket went, sold it and bought a Yaris (crackin motor) and the final chapter in Rover hell was the new owner rings me to tell me the head gasket had gone again, my advice get rid and buy a Toyota they make some half decent cars

Just finished reading that article. Interesting read thanks.

I just need to establish if our late 2003 ZR has the improved PRT thermostat on it now like it suggests. Glad to see the plastic head locaters were only used for a short time pre 2000 and only on the 1.8 engines too. :)

There's no escape from it!

I'm reasonably familiar with Porsches, motors which for some reason notorious for their reliability. But how they've manage to keep their notoriety for reliability since the arrival of the Boxster and 996 model year 911 i don't know (don't get me started on Cayennes!)

Ok as the years have past since their introduction the number of dropped Nickasil cylinder bore liners and cracked cylinder heads has gradually fallen, but certain design faults still continue. Ok so the self-destructing intermediate shaft bearings have been re-designed for the latest model Boxster, Caymans and 997's, but shamefully rear main oil seals are still an issue current recommendation is to fit Cayenne r/main seals to all models which seems to be keeping the oil in.... just about!

I guess working in the garage we only ever get to see the bad apples, but its definatley a large portion of the motors sold that have the obligatory return visit for replacement of leaking engine seals, arm-long lists of Recalls and customer complaints to address, etc.