The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spin city - close call

JohnA

Almost lost it today, and it was a sunny dry day, 12:00 noon, barely any throttle (1/5th say) and around 2Krpm.

Rear tyres 32psi, had just checked them (for lower speeds in the cold, quicker warmup etc)

They didn't have enough time to warm up at all, just 100yards from home, as I was turning into the main road, the upcoming prick put the foot down in a typical way to show his disapproval of someone entering 'his' lane. Anyway, he was 10 yards away, so I pressed the pedal *ever* so slightly. OK just a bit, but hardly even halfway.

Wow, the backend shifted almost 90degrees, like I was on ice. Got me by surprise big time, there was oncoming traffic on the other lane, in the end no harm done apart from the shock.

I was surpsised at how slowly my brain worked (Alzheimers?) as I could watch in slo-mo the whole thing until it was over and I was plodding along like nothing ever happened.

Also surprised at how quickly my reflexes worked and brought it back in line without touching anything on the sides. Brrrrr....that was a feckin close one, never saw it coming. Plus a bollocking from the human Traction Control too (well deserved this time).

I guess I'm gonna have to losen up the boost controller for the first turbo, this could well have written off the car (T-boned by others from the oncoming lane)

Pheeeewww.....

The back broke away on me earlier too on a country road - went to overtake someone in front with the same sort of throttle as you (and I'd fed it in gradually)....caught it without thinking about it; no major drama (apart from getting it ~60degrees out of shape at 55mph lol) and lived to tell teh tale and learn another lesson. The lesson being get better back tyres and never never NEVER underestimate the supe, lol.

There are parts of the road surfaces that only see sunlight for a brief period, if at all --- these are tricky days with the freezing temps at night. But that one is bang on sunlight and it was noon FFS.

Save for the possibility of spilled diesel (not inconceivable) I can only say that I got it wrong big time. Scary really.

Just a reminder of what a joke the stock TC can be, exactly when you need it.

RLTC, heh....

I should have taken it even easier, the tyres I've got are poop (they are the ones that it had when it was imported from Japan ones and they've hardened) and I pushed it just past their limits, that's all.

Mate totally kno how u feel. have still got the japs on mine aswell, they are like concrete!!! also for some strange reason they seem to lose pressure very quickly, am putting air in every other week. think they are buggered...... new tyres sounds like a good excuse for new wheels i think!!!!

Mate totally kno how u feel. have still got the japs on mine aswell, they are like concrete!!! also for some strange reason they seem to lose pressure very quickly, am putting air in every other week. think they are buggered...... new tyres sounds like a good excuse for new wheels i think!!!!

Man don't I know it lol... if I had the money I'd get some new alloys too but I think I'll just get some new rubber for now and think about what alloys I want longer-term :)

My car is almost 100% stock too, I kinda like that look, for now ;)

I am doing a Donington track day tomorrow, I have reset all the geo on my car and fitted some Toyo road legal race tyres. I took it out about 3.00 PM today, and the cat was lethal. Wheel spin at 90 MPH. The roads are just so slick with salt, which is hygroscopic and pulls moisture out of the air. That and the temps are hovering around freezing all day. Treacherous! Not sure if I am really looking forward to tomorrow, I guess we won't be on track until mid morning due to frost. Trackday in January? I must be going daft(er)!!