The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking of going single too

johnd-mkiv

I have been looking into going single for a bit more power im not afetr megger power 5-600 rwhp would be my goal, i have read up that a standard bottom end should take 600bhp?

Im more into fast sprints than over all top speeds but do like drag racing too.

been looking at some ebay turbos, i realise most are crap but would like your opinions on this kit, or what sort of kit and spec would you recomend to achieve this goal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Full-1993-99-Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-T4-600hp-Turbo-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8032619434

thanks

john

5-600 rwhp IS mega power! My car, at 1.5 bar is about 550rwhp and it can be a real handful with traction in anything but good warm weather. Don't underestimate what a genuine 500 crank horsepower can do.

Anyway, for what it's worth, have a look at the spec Terry S has on his car. It was designed to be the ultimate street set-up, and having driven the car many times, IMO, it's certainly reached it's goal. It drives almost like a big powered NA car would. Very little lag and excellent power delivery.

I have been looking into going single for a bit more power im not afetr megger power 5-600 rwhp would be my goal, i have read up that a standard bottom end should take 600bhp?

Im more into fast sprints than over all top speeds but do like drag racing too.

been looking at some ebay turbos, i realise most are crap but would like your opinions on this kit, or what sort of kit and spec would you recomend to achieve this goal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Full-1993-99-Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-T4-600hp-Turbo-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ8032619434

thanks

john

T61 fella, but be prepared for a big budget.. it costs loads to do a proper job.

5-600 rwhp IS mega power! My car, at 1.5 bar is about 550rwhp and it can be a real handful with traction in anything but good warm weather. Don't underestimate what a genuine 500 crank horsepower can do.

Anyway, for what it's worth, have a look at the spec Terry S has on his car. It was designed to be the ultimate street set-up, and having driven the car many times, IMO, it's certainly reached it's goal. It drives almost like a big powered NA car would. Very little lag and excellent power delivery.

just to emphasise what Matt says really, i have a 500 rwhp car that i very rarely use to its potential as i very rarely switch the boost controller on, at this time of year the car REALLY is a handfull (RLTC disconected at the mo due to problems) once the red mist gathers and the right foot goes down, if you want to keep the car "streetable" quick off the mark and nice to drive i'de suggest you stick to the smaller sized turbos and aim at the 500 rwhp end of the scale and not 600 rwhp

5-600 rwhp IS mega power!

I've taken to realise that when people say they want 500hp, they'd actually be happy with 400. When they ask for 700, they'd be happy with 500. I recon as long as the dyno said "oh yeah you've got a bazillion HP" the car could only have 65hp and they'd be driving away grinning.

Not being facetious, but the best bet is to drive a 500hp car, or get taken out in one, and then see if it's for you. I was surprised how many people who had a joy-ride in a friends 500hp BMW M5 who said they didn't really like it. :limp:

It's a lot of money to waste only to find you think it's undrivable.

I've taken to realise that when people say they want 500hp, they'd actually be happy with 400. When they ask for 700, they'd be happy with 500. I recon as long as the dyno said "oh yeah you've got a bazillion HP" the car could only have 65hp and they'd be driving away grinning.

Not being facetious, but the best bet is to drive a 500hp car, or get taken out in one, and then see if it's for you. I was surprised how many people who had a joy-ride in a friends 500hp BMW M5 who said they didn't really like it. :limp:

Fair comment. I have had a couple of high bhp cars and always come down to wanting more, through driving the supra I realise its very lively on the rear and this sort of power will only best suit the dry, its just nice to have that extra power on tap.

Thanks for your comments, what sort of engine spec will i need for the t61? ie fuel system ect

On the button.

just to emphasise what Matt says really, i have a 500 rwhp car that i very rarely use to its potential as i very rarely switch the boost controller on, at this time of year the car REALLY is a handfull (RLTC disconected at the mo due to problems) once the red mist gathers and the right foot goes down, if you want to keep the car "streetable" quick off the mark and nice to drive i'de suggest you stick to the smaller sized turbos and aim at the 500 rwhp end of the scale and not 600 rwhp

isnt quoting 600bhp a little high for a T-61 based car? I thought a t-67 would be needed to do that sort of power?

JB

I like the twin setup and putting down 370 on stock tubbies is very useable. No reason why not get the car up to a similar spec as mine first most if not all parts you need for a single anyway and see how you cope with that power before heading onwards. You'll end up with better quality parts that way, I mean how good a quality is that FMIC setup going to be? You still need the fuelling setup, and probably uprated camshafts.

I like the twin setup and putting down 370 on stock tubbies is very useable. No reason why not get the car up to a similar spec as mine first most if not all parts you need for a single anyway and see how you cope with that power before heading onwards. You'll end up with better quality parts that way, I mean how good a quality is that FMIC setup going to be? You still need the fuelling setup, and probably uprated camshafts.

Totally agree. Build up to it. That way you can always stop.