The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manual or auto uk tt???

J-S14A

Hey guys and gals,

I'm going to be looking for a Uk tt supra (for insurance more than anything, i'm only 22!), and I will have a budget of approx £10k

I've seen auto's and manuals for the right money (although it seems I could afford a lower mileage auto)

Are manuals really worth the extra outlay?

I drive auto and manual cars all the time (I currently have an auto s14a 200sx), and although each has thier pros and cons, I don't have a preference.

Please help

I have to admit, I was a bit cautious when I bought my 200sx. I wasn't sure how i'd find an auto, but I do like it (especially when you get the box to 'kick down' when it's on boost - the back end goes everywhere except for forward!) I just wouldn't mind the change back to manual for a while.

oh, and this might seem stupid (but I honestly don't know) do you get cruise control on the manual 'box?

Hi there mate

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to how I was. In all honesty I had to have a manual, and being the same age as you I was also after a UK spec... at the time there were virtually no UK TT's around, let alone manual ones, the first one I came across turned out a minter so I snapped it up at 11k. At the moment you're spoilt for choice, there's a low milage one for 13.5k or Zed's black one for 9.5! All that said, auto boxes are very highly regarded on here, I've never driven one so I couldn't comment, but I love the 6spd box - like others have said a bit agricultural but very solid and has a nice feel to it.

Also, try running through a few quotes on Jspec Supras as the difference might not be as big as you think, there are a few young owners with Jspec cars on here.

I've got a UK auto and it was my first auto ever.

My take until then was that autos are for lazy gits, people with severe disabilities, women who only go shopping and the like.

Maybe that's the case with many autos, I don't know. But the Supra auto is certainly not homosexual material, not once you learn how to get the most out of it.

Would I still go for a manual? Perhaps. Standing starts without powerbraking are 6 seconds flat (for me) which is unspectacular really. I'm sure with a manual I'd be doing mid-4s.

However, in heavy traffic the auto is far better than any manual, and once you get going (40mph or over) then the auto is in a different league with fewer gearchanges involved.

So it really depends on the kind of driving you'll be doing.