The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help, my Diff exploded :(

sdavies

Does anyone have any idea of where is the quickest/cheapest/easiest place to get hold of a 1994 Jap spec NA standard diff (recon/2nd hand/new)? My Sup is my only car and she is looking to be off the road for a while now after making some "interesting" noises in a car park at low speeds last Saturday. Not looking good for reconditioning the diff apparently as when it was stripped down "little bits of metal that used to be gears" came out :(:( :sos: :drown:

Any input appreciated.

P.S. I am in the Reading area if that helps any

Thanks Teri and supPro for quick responses to my pathetic pleas for help ;) (yeah I know I should have checked the classifieds.. I am just like an irate father or something at the moment). I hate not being able to jump into my car and go for a cruise (or just bloody well get around as it is my only car :(). I have two avenues to follow up and hopefully if all goes well should be SupraEnabled™ by the weekend :ecstatic:

Sadly it gave me very little warning, as in ... none. I had been happily driving around, no unusual noises, reverse parked up in a level tar mac car park. Disappeared into shops for 30 mins, came back - pulled forward and turned a corner at about 5mph when it felt like I had hit a curb (there was no curb or obstacle) - was a real bang and shudder... but the car continued smoothly from that point for a few feet so I stopped and checked for obstacles/ex-pedestrians in the road/wheel arch ;). I pulled away again after finding nothing obvious, and upon re-applying accelerator past 15mph it did this enormous banging noise 3-4 times with juddering throughout the car. I pulled over, did all the usual checks - nothing visibly wrong, wheels in tact no broken springs - no animals or small children stuck in the mechanics. I gingerly pulled the car forward to a safe spot and it made no noise whatsoever, so I decided to limp it the few miles home very carefully.. only on pulling away at low speeds did it make any noises (and not every time) - in hind site I should have just abandoned her on the road side and got my recovery greenflag type folks to get her, but it was late on a saturday, it was cold and I had an irate passenger ;).

All fluids/lubricants, bits and pieces had been checked and sorted for a full service just before Christmas - only thing obvious that needed attention was slightly worn rear tyres :rolleyes: It was apparently "one of those things™". Guess I was just SOL. Sometimes feel like I was born on an unlucky day, in an unlucky month, on a bad year, during a freak outbreak of shitty fortune!

If you don't explicitly ask for it, I wouldn't think that rear diff oil is checked (let alone replaced)

Maybe worth checking if yours was dry.

It's treated as a 'filled for life' part. Hey, most people treat their gearboxes like that. Some manufacturers don't even bother to fit drain plugs.

Does anyone have any idea of where is the quickest/cheapest/easiest place to get hold of a 1994 Jap spec NA standard diff (recon/2nd hand/new)? My Sup is my only car and she is looking to be off the road for a while now after making some "interesting" noises in a car park at low speeds last Saturday. Not looking good for reconditioning the diff apparently as when it was stripped down "little bits of metal that used to be gears" came out :(:( :sos: :drown:

Any input appreciated.

P.S. I am in the Reading area if that helps any

Got one sitting in the workshop doing not a lot if you want it.

cost £475 plus VAT and shipping.

Let me know.

01908 614971

Regards

Sam