The mkiv Supra Owners Club

buying supras

mattanna

Hi all I am new to this game and am thinking of importing a supra grade 4from Japan probably with bonsai cars.I am after an sz manual non turbo. I have a few questions like what should i be looking out for i.e timing belts. how much would it cost to get one done in this country? and are there any engine pitfalls to be wary off or are they bulletproof like most jap engines. Also will the thing rust away over here if i do not get it waxoiled? Last thing is what mpg can i expect and where should you get them serviced?/

sorry for all the questions

sincerely

Matt

Timing belt is about £200, although no immediate panic on this as the engine is non interference, ie no major damage if the cambelt breaks.

Engine is pretty much bullet proof yes

It will rust faster if you don't waxoil it but it won't exactly rust before your eyes if you don't do it.

MPG on a non turbo manual could get up to 30 if you drove like a saint, but expect 23 i'd say.

As for servicing, well i'd say DIY but if thats not an option then a good local man you can trust. Nothing really out of the ordinary on the supra as far as regular servicing goes, a good mechanic should have no problems (except poss cambelt where heat should NOT be used on the crank pulley)

Also just my 2p but i'd get one already here i could see/drive

good luck with it.............

Hi all I am new to this game and am thinking of importing a supra grade 4from Japan probably with bonsai cars.I am after an sz manual non turbo. I have a few questions like what should i be looking out for i.e timing belts. how much would it cost to get one done in this country? and are there any engine pitfalls to be wary off or are they bulletproof like most jap engines. Also will the thing rust away over here if i do not get it waxoiled? Last thing is what mpg can i expect and where should you get them serviced?/

sorry for all the questions

sincerely

Matt

Welcome, im in a similar position to yourself also looking for an SZ, originally wanted to import one through the big rep companies but found them really expensive so ive decided to start looking for one in this country. Having said that i think uve got to watch out for the clocked cars already in this country. As already posted check out Jurgen as he seems to bring in quality cars without the daft prices these big rep companies are charging.

I know you can probably pick up a bargain on bonsai but i think its a fair risk to take as you have no-one to check out the car for you.

Good luck anyway! :)

well maybe if people got their facts right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every car that is sold has an auction report and if they don't have the brains to read it right and then when it is explained to them in plain english too :rtfm: :rtfm:

We have had many many more happy customers than un-happy - if there was a problem do you really think i would have bought my own car there?

well maybe if people got their facts right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! every car that is sold has an auction report and if they don't have the brains to read it right and then when it is explained to them in plain english too :rtfm: :rtfm:

We have had many many more happy customers than un-happy - if there was a problem do you really think i would have bought my own car there?

:run: Are you connected to Bonsai or just bought from em?

:run: Are you connected to Bonsai or just bought from em?

Initially just brought from them but now work for them. There is always questions about an import company - understandably - coz I totally agree there are dogs out there but if you take the time to look properly there are pretty good deals.

Maybe I am being a bit protective - but I know all the facts so can be :)

Ok well there's always two sides to a story thats just something i found on google. Try putting bonsai cars in and its the first result you get, cant be good for you company rep so maybe try get rid of that somehow.

thank you and sorry if I came across a bit shirty!!!! :respekt:

nah its ok i was a little suprised myself as didnt think anyone from Bonsai posted on here let alone be on here 2mins after i posted the link.

Thats why i :run:

:) on here coz supra's are my thing - but sometimes do feel the need to justify certain things but definately don't make it a habit!!