The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blown Head Gasket!

Animal

Well, Mr. T's just rung to tell my my head gasket's gone big time. :cry: Don't know how bad it is yet - they'll strip it and ring me back when they know the full damage, but they're reckoning at at least a grand's worth. Any helpful advice at this point? I know a new head is about 1500 quid, no idea how much it would cost to skim the damaged head if it needs it, or what problems might occur afterwards. What sort of price could I get a TT lump for, will it mate to my N/A autobox and is it worth considering?

:sos:

Don't panic.

If the temperature didn't go off the scale there's nothing to lead you into thinking that anything is warped or seriously damaged.

NA auto box is a different model - don't know how interchangeble they are. Maybe ECU differences in shift patterns?

Rad cap was buggered, just kept pissing coolant out. Mine's one of the first MkIV's (K reg), so yeah 13 years old, no idea how it's been treated for the last 12 years, I knew to expect stuff to need doing. I'm no mechanic either, and it always seems like head gaskets get spoken about like a death knell for engines.

Just found the thread about Lexus V8 transplants. That'd be fun.

Oh, well, just have to wait and see what the damage is. At least they can do the valve stem oil seals while they're in there, cos it was starting to use oil a bit.

ive just stuck my NA engine i used to fix my engine (all external problems) on Ebay, with a torque convertor fitted as im a manual. Needs a little bit of work but hell of alot cheaper for you, and i mean minimal work it only cost £300 in labour to fit all bits from the doner engine to mine

As bits missing from my engine you can take off your blown one ;) like i said all external stuff.

So that leaves labour costs. It was a runner when it was removed from the car, as i bought it as a runner, then worked out cheaper to take bits off i needed rather then pay for engine to go in

anyway this is just a heads up if yours really is that bad

well, on the bright side, if it is just the HG and nothing further this should not cost so much £ to get fixed. How many man hours is the job? Get a quote from the mechanics on here perhaps as a comparison, should be cheaper than Mr T's rates at least.

So you think this was all caused by a faulty rad cap? note to self, replace rad cap soon!

Isnt there anyone else you can take it too that are cheaper than Toyota? It might be an old car but it shouldnt have really needed this doing! Feel for you.

My mate used to work there and recommended their experience. I knew it would be more expensive, but I don't know anywhere else I'd trust sending a Supra to. The last place I took it to for a service were useless. If anyone can recommend a good garage around Preston, then Id be glad to try them out. At least this way I'll know the worst-case price.

So you think this was all caused by a faulty rad cap? note to self, replace rad cap soon!

That was the start of the problems for sure. My not fully realising the importance of the expansion chamber (i.e. keeping that topped up, too) soon enough didn't help matters (Thanks to Terminators FAQ post I now know about that)

I would definately recommend checking you rad cap especially if it's an original one as mine probably was as it was badly perished. And pull over as soon as you see the temp gauge rise, cos sitting in a queue of cars watching the bugger go through the red-line is not fun.

HI Animal. Sorry to hear that m8. My old man uses the garage on Castleton road Deepdale, off Skeffington road next to level crossing. This guy is good and fair. If i remember rightly he races cars mate. Worth a phone call?? I think he raced/races in the fornula 3000? His prices for other work is reasonable. Like i said, worth a phone call.

HI Animal. Sorry to hear that m8. My old man uses the garage on Castleton road Deepdale, off Skeffington road next to level crossing. This guy is good and fair. If i remember rightly he races cars mate. Worth a phone call?? I think he raced/races in the fornula 3000? His prices for other work is reasonable. Like i said, worth a phone call.

Cheers dude, I've had a couple of people suggest them, but only from hearsay. I'll give him a shout when I know the score.

Full Revs

Animal

• 2 weeks later...

Just had an update from Mr. T. It's not sounding good. He didn't go into details on the phone, but basically said the gaskets been on it's way out for ages and has eaten away at part of the cylinder head! He didn't say the head is buggered completely, but it will have a weak spot.

Anyway, he's asked me to go down and have a look at it on Saturday morning and see the damage/discuss options. It's sounding to me like I should be looking for a new head - what do you lot reckon?

WSB - has that motor been sold? Let me know a price if it hasn't, just in case.

BUGGER

Animal

This thread examplifies the need to check your coolant constantly. Im presuming Animal's HG went bang due to a lack of coolant? As soon as my expansion tank lost a little bit of coolant(no leaks) I replaced my rad cap and all has been fine. I think everyone with a 93/94 car should replace their rad cap as a matter of course NOW to avoid anymore of this in the future. Think about it, 10 quid for a rad cap down Mr T. or a bigger bill later on :(

Heads are going due to a lack of antifreeze being kept in the coolant all year around, in so far as antifreeze contains a corrosion inhibitor. I did a head the other week with the gasket failed due to corrosion having eroded away a water gallery hole into the fire land region, causing "head gasket" failure. Strictly speaking it was a corrosion failure. I TIG welded up the corroded parts, die ground the holes back to shape and skimmed the head lightly. All will be OK. If the engines been cooked the head may have lost its hardness, excess heat anneals the alloy into a soft condition, the head is then effectively scrap. Cosworth Sierra heads are notorious for this happening to them. A Brinnell test will show if that's the case. Only bother if the engines been got pretty hot though.

I TIG welded up the corroded parts, die ground the holes back to shape and skimmed the head lightly.

What sort of cost would I be looking at if that were the case with my head? I know It would depend on what & how bad, etc - what did THAT job cost?

I've just seen Ibrar has a head & cams for sale cheap - that looks like it might be the cheaper option for me if it's in good nick.

Just back from seeing the Supe. The good news is the head is fine - no skimming or anything needed. The bad news is the block has been damaged on the front cylinder. I took a mate with me who's a good mechanic and between him and the Toyota guy, the general opinion was to just bolt the thing back together. To be honest I couldn't really see what the damage was, but there is slight wear between the barrel and water jacket (I think). Toyota said to rebuild the motor, but it could blow the gasket again, maybe after 2000, maybe after 60,000.

I'm thinking the best plan now is to rebuild it and start looking for either a new block or a new motor complete.

Once again, your advice would be welcomed.

Full revs

Animal