The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TRD widebody - bargain or nightmare?

terawua

Was just looking at ebay,and I came across this. I know Jake got a super cheap widebody kit, but he said it was pants quality and he could shoot peas through some of the panels. would it be worht someones time to get one fitted, or should one just stump up for the proper/same mould copies being banded about???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUPRA-93-98-TD-8PIECE-WIDE-BODY-KIT-FENDERS-JDM-JZA80_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36475QQitemZ8031317559QQrdZ1#ebayphotohosting

cheers

Might be work having a word with Absxxx first. As far as I remember he bought a cheap Top Secret wide body kit but took a lot of work to fit (he did it himself though).

I discussed this option (TRD widebody) with Dude last year but he reckoned that the cheap wide body copies were horrible, he would have charged in excess of £4k to fit one (and that was a cheap quote too!).

I discussed this option (TRD widebody) with Dude last year but he reckoned that the cheap wide body copies were horrible, he would have charged in excess of £4k to fit one (and that was a cheap quote too!).

There you have it.,. thats what I was after - I was assuming that what you save on the kit would be more than compensated for by the install costs... oh well lets see whats Jake's turns out like...

not worth it unless you are prepared to spend about 5 hours laying more fibre glass on the inside to make it stronger...

The glass and resin would set you back about £100 - £150 to make it better.

I would not bee suprised if you had to re gel coat lots of areas and sand them down smooth again.. A good project but dont think it will just slip on :)

oh well lets see whats Jake's turns out like...
You'll have a long wait mate :D

I don't think I'll be taking on the fitting of this myself. I asked Lovatt for a rough quote but he never got back to me. It's all sat in my garden collecting rainwater now.

Just another of my brilliant buys that I never used. Along with the UK rear brakes, TRD strut brace, Fields Harness, Goodridge hoses, etc etc :D

So I will see it in the for sale section soon then....For sale TRD Widebody Birdbath :eyebrows:

It sounds like your list of not yet fitted stuff is even longer than mine. Why do you have UK spec rear brakes not fitted? Cant be bothered or do you need some fronts with them...

So its okay if you have fibreglass and time, as if you have to get soemone to do the work it will leave you well out of pocket. I dont have much experience of Fibreglass, except getting itchy arms despite marigolds repairing Kart seats in my younger days. Okay, I think I will get a proper one, and that way it sounds like I will get the car back in a sensible timeframe...

Adding extra fibreglass to panels isn't hard work really,especially as you already have the mould you are just strengthening.The cost for a large quantity isn't as much as you would think.

I think if you could get the kit for $900 dollars and get charged £4000 to fit it and it looks the part then why not as that is still a fairly large saving over getting original kit and getting it fitted.

But it is still a gamble and its not exactly small change if it goes tits up.

Incidentally if you are seriously thinking about it THESE guys supply fibreglass and resins, i have used them before.

So its okay if you have fibreglass and time, as if you have to get soemone to do the work it will leave you well out of pocket. I dont have much experience of Fibreglass, except getting itchy arms despite marigolds repairing Kart seats in my younger days. Okay, I think I will get a proper one, and that way it sounds like I will get the car back in a sensible timeframe...

James, give me a shout if you want a price for a genuine one from here :ok:

I really dont know that I will get this kit- I was just asking opinions, it seems the more 'can do' amongst you think its a good proposition as long as one would be prepared to strengthen it and generally get it in a fit state for someone to have a go at fitting. Reinforcing fibreglass is a very basic job - just takes a bit of time.

I wonder if it's cheaper and potentially better to get the stock wings customised in metal?

Think to do replacement or cutomised metal wings properly would be quite costly, cant be many people who do that anymore, well not on a small scale anyway.

Also for $900 i'd by one and make it fit, think from my experiance with my kit that unless you buy the genuine TRD kit then you'll have work to do to make it a good fit, although ive not a clue how well the genuine kit fits !!!

Laying up more gf isnt really that hard if youve the time and place to do it and even if you spent the same again as the kit cost to put it right its still bloody cheap.

My copy TRD kit was £4000 and in general not bad but needed work in certain areas.

dunk

how much work?

you didnt have to cut the body kit in half, or cut pannels?

id love to have a go, like ureself absxx, i have a load of resin and fibreglass lying in my garage,lol.

the main problem i had was that none of the panels were straight, they were all warped and had cracks in them. had to cut out all the cracks from the panels and screw the panels down onto a thick board to regain shape then applying layers of firbeglass.

if you willing to do most of the work yourself then its not costly.