The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mods for track day reliability

Pixelfill

The girlfriend has played an absolute blinder and paid up front for a full day track session in the Supe.

Now I'm going to take this opportunity to splash the cash on her (The Supe that is). I'm thinking of mods which will allow me to make the most of the track day (s) but not compromise the daily driver status. I'm not flush though so Nic hold off the big single and huge FMIC suggestions (for now).:giveup:

I'm thinking around 1K but not sure where to target the investment.

At present I'm BPU at 1.2 bar on Stock J Tubbys. AFAIK I have UK brakes (definitely calipers but not sure how to tell the disks) Brand new Eagle F1s at the front and Yoko AVS Sports at the rear with plenty of tread.

I couldn't afford the RLTC group buy just before Christmas (sorry Gaz) but with both Envy and Lucifer about to offer one might now be the time?

A set of Defi's would be a good idea for keeping my eye on things, is now an ideal opportunity?

should I get some braided hoses, and some fast road pads?

some decent fast road seats and harnesses?

Oil cooler and relocation kit?

obviously I'll be getting a full fluid change, geometry check, and service before I go, but I'm looking for suggestions as to where to best target the upgrades, to maximise the track day enjoyment.

Any opinions and priorities would be most appreciated

Cheers Guys

Mike

Yeah if I'd known what she was up to I'd have taken my part worn tires back from the tyre shop last week :cry: I was wondering about buying a second set of scrubbed tyres/ scuffed wheels to use, then I'd be looking after the new tyres and the wheels which are still currently mint.

Before anyone else says it more sarcastically if you have UK brake calipers you'll have UK brake discs as they are much bigger brakes chap. If you really want to go for it get the car setup with extra camber on the front for track use and then get it put back afterwards. The defi's are a good idea but to be honest only to check what the car had done after the fact as you'll have a lot more to be concerned with whilst on th etrack than what boost you are doing. If you are BPU allready then you may have a sound limit worry. If the car is loud you may have to investigate additional baffles in the exhaust exit. Borrowing some track wheels from someone would be a good idea if thats possible 17"s preferably. If you want to splash a grand then have a look at bilstein/eibach suspension as handling mods will benefit a track day a bit more than power mods as I can almost guarantee on your first day out the car will max you out rather than you max the car out.

You don't NEED anything to enjoy the Supe on track, but lots of things are nice to have. Good seats are a real bonus. I personally don't like 4 point harnesses, I think they can be more dangerous than normal belts unless you have a proper 5 or 6 point set with an anti-sub belt. If you're going for harnesses I would get a harness bar and seats with slots for sub belts and do it properly. Unless you're going to do a few track days I'd stick with what you have and spend your dosh on fuel, tyres and brake pads! Just do 20 minute sessions and you'll be fine.

If you're going to do a few then go for an oil cooler and fit an oil temp/pressure gauge at the same time.

Oh, and if you've got the big calipers you've got big disks as well.

If it's a regular thing maybe invest in some older OEM wheels just for the track?

Good laptimes are much more achievable with proper braking and decent handling.

Decent pads will help braking and fade. When was your brake fluid last flushed? Braided lines are a good plus point. Check all geometry?

Temperature guages (water/oil/EGT) I guess would be nice. I can't imagine that on your first day out that you'd push the car to its limit too much anyway. The main thing is to be SAFE!

Hey hey, Pixelfil. You lucky B/steward!!. Listen mate, i have a full set of speed junky 17 inch wheels you can borrow with tyres. Trouble is these tyres are all very good (6.7mm tread) you may not want good tread??. The offer is there mate if you want them. I was going to sell mate, but will keep for occasions like THIS he he

Before anyone else says it more sarcastically if you have UK brake calipers you'll have UK brake discs as they are much bigger brakes chap.

that's good to know thanks for the lack of :flame:

The defi's are a good idea but to be honest only to check what the car had done after the fact as you'll have a lot more to be concerned with whilst on th etrack than what boost you are doing.

Good point, but seems like a good excuse to finally plump for them

If you are BPU allready then you may have a sound limit worry. If the car is loud you may have to investigate additional baffles in the exhaust exit.

Another good point, I hadn't thought about that I'll have to check, but I'm not fully BPU (still have the front Cat in) and it doesn't seem that loud, even without the Blitz baffle, which I do have (but not fitted)

Borrowing some track wheels from someone would be a good idea if thats possible 17"s preferably. If you want to splash a grand then have a look at bilstein/eibach suspension as handling mods will benefit a track day a bit more than power mods as I can almost guarantee on your first day out the car will max you out rather than you max the car out.

Thanks for all the suggestions DB. I can hardly wait.

SimonB / Pete

thanks for your suggestions, I'm not planning on pushing too hard, but would hate to cause any damage through lack of preparation.

Cheers

Mike

Hey hey, Pixelfil. You lucky B/steward!!. Listen mate, i have a full set of speed junky 17 inch wheels you can borrow with tyres. Trouble is these tyres are all very good (6.7mm tread) you may not want good tread??. The offer is there mate if you want them. I was going to sell mate, but will keep for occasions like THIS he he

Thanks mate,

I might take you up on this.

:thumbs:

Mike

All we need now is Chris Wilson to happen across this thread I dont think anyone else coupld come close to his knowledge of hooning round tracks. I seem to remember his performance add ons consisting of just having a decat and his suspension setup, with uK brakes, standard discs and some top notch fluid Motul RBF600 or the Castrol somthingorother.

Simple eh?

You'll be fine, my car was completely stock when I did my first track day. The important thing is to start off slow and build your speed up as you go. Make sure you do a cool down lap to slow down gradually and let the brakes cool down gradually or you can warp them. And leave your handbrake off when you stop if you can. Keep an eye on your petrol gauge as well, it's easy to forget and suddenly realise you're about to run out. That would be seriously embarrasing! Only trouble you'll have is getting addicted!

Guest robfromfort

With the TT you have all the power and braking you need, I would reccomend some after market adjustable suspension and some 18" wide wheels as you you feel real benefit on the corners. All you really have to remember is that the TT has power coming through in lumps and most tracks will not let you use most of it before a corner. Braking is also a consideration but as pointed out before the U.K spec brakes are pretty damn large.

Even if you do nothing to the car for your first time on the track make sure you have your traction control off!!!

Sometimes it is better to use your first time on the track to judge what is wrong with your car and improve it in the future than plow alot of money into something that might have been good anyway.

I suggest putting your money into another track day afterwards and ivesting into the things that annoyed the hell out of you.

As you're running an auto your brakes will start to fade after a few laps if you're really pushing it.

New fast roads pads and good brake fluid should be enough for your first outing though. Maybe restrict yourself to a few laps at a time to keep your brakes on song.

Have fun though.

I don't understand all this "use old tyres stuff". You won't trash your tyres on one track day (particularly if it's your first). Decent brakes are a must. Everybody I've driven on track says the same thing - "I didn't realise how hard you brake!" If you're not up for a brake upgrade, put decent pads in and fresh fluid. The Supra is well capable of track use without any real mods.

edit: when you come off track, do a colling down lap and go easy on the brakes. You can warp even UK discs if you don't.

I don't understand all this "use old tyres stuff".

It's wise to have another set of tyres/wheels that you know will be road legal to drive home when you've come off the track and you don't mind taking a battering. Depending upon the compound and track surface you can quite quickly chew through a set of tyres.

I would reccomend some after market adjustable suspension and some 18" wide wheels as you you feel real benefit on the corners.

That pretty much goes against the grain of what most of the track drivers say here. Standard suspension (bilsteins) with good allignment should be better the harsh jap springs that Tein, etc have.

Hopefuly Chris Wilson will be along shortly to advise :)

Are we really suggesting that somebody might want to spend thousands of pounds modifying a car for a first track day?

Take two sets of wheels? So you'll need a support vehicle to carry them.

I've done Silverstone GP, Goodwood, Combe, Nürburgring and not had a problem with tyre wear; I have had brake problems with UK and J-spec brakes though.

The thread was entitled Mods for track day reliability... just check the car over thoroughly and go and enjoy it

I thought chris wilsons' only mods were his pads and decat pipes.

If you have never done a track day before i would just get a set of part worns and some decent brake pads and fluid.You may find that the track isn't for you so dip your toe in the water before diving in and spending on the old girl.

just my 2 penneth.