The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gtech Performance Meter Pro How Accurate Is It?

mr lover

Anyone remember the guy on eBay was trying to sell his "800bhp" MkIII Supra? It turned out that he had calculated the power with one of these devices! :lol:

IIRC, you can make them say anything you like if you put in the wrong stats for the car (weight, etc)

Its an accelerometer, not a very sophisticated one, yet should be very accurate in a straight line. If mounted very securely the one thing an accelerometer can measure with great accuracy is acceleration over time (duh!) - and therefore o-XXXmph times.

The bhp figures (such as that muppet selling the mk3), rpm, etc all rely on owner inputs such as mass, rolling resistance, aero efficiency, etc. Unless you know these very accurately these 'other' figures are meaningless.

Yeah but how does it know that you have reached 60 mph? Acceleration rate metres per second per second when added up I guess would sort of tell you when you hit 60 I guess.

It measures G-force per 100th's of a second (at least in the one I have - AP22). Once you have these it can work out G over time and therefore can determine current speed (at any 100th of a second). As soon as it hits target speed it will record the time taken to reach that speed.

Some unit are much more complex than others. The one I have does data logging per 100th of a second and includes lateral G, great fun for seeing performance on the track. With the right software it can show shift and brakes points over the track (on a map) without any data apart from the run around the track itself. Very nice bit of kit!

The bhp figures I get from my AP-22 are not far at all from those I got from a hyb dyno (without adding any 'conversion' and 'transmission' claptrap)

As long as you have access to a long, quiet, straight length of road with good traction, you've got a free road-dyno. Then you go home and upload the runs, so you can compare on Excel or whatever.

No more bullshite about seat-of-pants horses from dubious mods.

As said, it's all in the accuracy of the figures you enter for the fixed parameters.

My Gf bought me the top of the range one of these for xmas, must say Im quite pleased with it. Measures, 0-60, 1/8th Mile, 1/4 Mile, G's, Top Speed, Torque (I think), plots all results on a graph which can be linked to your PC, store upto 30 runs, cross reference results, etc etc. I am told the technology used for the device is from military rockets! I have only had a little play with it, due to the weather, but must admit, it seems to be pretty much spot on. You must calibrate the device using the correct weight etc. As to how it works, I'll have to get the book and let you know, but im pleased with it! Interchange with your mates, plot on fancy graphs, flashs when to change gear and looks slick on the dash. :D