The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To mesh or not to mesh that is the question

psymon

Opinions please...

Got a Samurai Front on order, and a FMIC, now do I mesh the front or not. I know this will have a small impact on air flow too.

Personally I like the no mesh look , but then i worried bout the FMIC getting smacked.

Also my front wings (ABFLUG) and skirts have mesh in em, so do i mix and match or take it out.

OH The dilemma :ecstatic: :ecstatic: :ecstatic:

There are no easy answers here.

The Toyota designers had the same dilemma and they decided not to mesh, for the sake of better Cd.

I think a black mesh is not a bad idea, but will it really stop stonechips or other high-velocity bits from damaging the core?

I've had my FMICs in the past both ways, and there was no evidence that the mesh made any difference. Funny, eh?

Just finished my motor, couple of pics WITH mesh, it looked shite without although every car id different and I still like the dark no mesh look too.

The vents in the sideskirts are meshed with the same as the bumper which looks a bit better overall. Have bunged on some other pics for the hell of it.:eyebrows:

I do have it up for sale (gutted!!).:cry:

new supra 007.jpg

new supra 014.jpg

new supra 013.jpg

new supra 018.jpg

new supra 024.jpg

new supra 027.jpg

I had mesh before I went with the TT engine/FMIC. When the mechanic installed the FMIC, he asked if I wanted the mesh. I said yes, but he balked. So of course, who knows best? I agree that it looks better with the mesh. However, it looks scary with the FMIC visible through the opening. As far as the mesh color, it really depends on the color of the car.

Both pictures are viewable in my garage. You be the judge!

Actually... looking at them both side by side just now, you've made me realize that I may go back to mesh... meddler!

go-NATS

i have the samurai and a Greddy 3 row FMIC, i chose not to mesh, however, i have meshed the outer 2 sections...

i agree with John, my thinking was that if something is going to hit the FMIC with sufficient velocity and force to put a hole in it, there isnt a lot that a bit of mesh will do :D

bad pic, sorry :D

ROCKETMAN !

LOVE yer seats ! ! !

BUT, those seats are LUVVERLLY

Wot be they ?? (bound to be too dear but ready for the Lottery win !!)

FatS.

Seats are Corbeau Carreras my man. Far more comfortable and supportive than standard. All in with custom sub-frames and fitting was circa 700 quid.

Blue dash does look better in the flesh. Would have considered a black carbon if I was'nt selling the car. Cheers for your comments.:)

Aluminium mesh on mine with Samurai front & Greddy 3 row. After 1 year and 15k miles the IC has absolutely no damaged fins, looks almost like new (Just not as shiny!).

Pic below (The IC was mounted incorrectly in the pic, it now sits 2 inches lower)

CRW_6194-01.jpg