The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Cruise Control

Mark Ayling

Im in the same boat as you, but I managed to find a second hand cruise system which another owner wasnt using and was happy to sell to me.

I believe all the electronics are already in the car ready for the cruise systems to be plugged in, but I havent found the time to actually take the dash apart and also take the wheel arch liner out to see if the connectors are there.

After Trax Im hoping to find the time to get it fitted.

There are a number of parts which must be included such as

• steering wheel and control unit
  • ECU from behind the dash
  • control mechanism from under the bonnet
  • rubber gromet for throttle link
  • lots of little screws

so its not a straight forward fitment but I believe it can be done.

JB

Personally, I find the nob on the steering wheel a PITA. I've never seen one which buggers off around the wheel when you turn it before. You end up trying to find the damned thing on bends.

If I hadn't got one already, I'd be fitting it to the dashboard or finding a way to stop it wandering off.

Don't know, now you ask, but all I remember is that I've been looking for it coming off a number of roundabouts.

Even on gently winding roads, you can't select it by touch 'cos it's not where it's supposed to be.

Why couldn't they just stick it to the column like every bugger else?

i've never wanted to adjust the cruise control on a road so winding that you have to move your hands from a "quarter to 3" position on the wheel.      

Honest I've only ever used the cruise control on motorways / dual-carriagways and also roads which are littered with GATSO's and i can't be ar*sed to keep a watch-out for them.    The A2 road in South-East London where is joins the A205 is a good case in point here.

cruise is useful on quiet motorways for sure.   on busy roads it's usefulness is diluted.

or, if like me you like having a clean licence and find the Supra all to easy to take up to 100mph then get cruise control. I plan on using it when going to meets and stuff, just to keep the car to a reasonable speed for the majority of the journey. The reason I have never been caught speeding is that I choose my moments carefully and stay totally aware of whats around me while speeding. Doing that for 2 hours on the way to or from a meet is just too annoying so Im fitting the cruise to give me an easy way of keeping my licence.

Having used cruise for a number of years I have found it to be amazingly useful even in moderate traffic and Im going to have it fitted to my car as soon as I can find the time to investigate it further.

JB

Ooh you're tempting fate boyo.

I use it on the A417 South of Oxford, every day, which is very windy and has interleaved 60/40/30/40/60/40/30/etc. speed limits at 3-4 mile intervals. I'm constantly hitting the 'set' function for each zone.

I'm sooo glad everyone is happy with their cruise control but I've never seen any other car with a wandering control stalk and it's a PITA.