The mkiv Supra Owners Club

exhaust repair -- Note for Nic -- vat question

jot_ie

As some will know I am resolved to sorting my car early this year.

I still have the dilemma of buying the 01 supra.

My wife drove it yesterday morning. She will readily admit to knowing very little about cars at all, but found a huge difference in the handling as compared to my own 98. Big decision to be made and its wrecking my head at the moment.

Anyway, a big thanks to all you guys for your input in the thread.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=56218&highlight=dilemma

Nic, regarding the suspension on my own

I havent forgotten, will get back soon. I am pretty sure I will be ordering the whole suspension setup from you. The toyota oem ones.

Will drop you a line over the coming days once the decision has been made.

NIc, am I right in thinking you are based in Hong Kong?

If so I have a question regarding importing goods.

Is there additional vat to be paid on goods imported from a country not in the EU.

If I order the goods from Nic, the revenue people here will stick an additional 21% vat onto the goods. Has anybody else experienced this, or does the uk have some kind of trade agreement with hong kong.

I also have a more immediate problem.

I have a HKS superdragger fitted and the pipe to the box is riddled with holes. I spoke to a custom exhaust garage last weekend, here in Dublin, who said he could fix it. New piece of ss pipe bent to suit, no problem.

However when I brought the car to him on Saturday, he said he couldnt bend a pipe that large. I think the superdragger has a 3 - 3.5" pipe.

Anyway he said the only way is to make angular joints (i.e. cut and weld).

This obviously wont give a smooth airflow.

Also he wants to flatten the pipe where it passes under the rear crossmember to give more ground clearance

Is this an acceptable solution, or should I take the car somewhere else.

Is there anyone on here that could repair the exhaust?

Regards

John

Well I had that problem with the SuperDragger, the backbox is lovely and stainless steel, but the rest of it rusts away :( It had been patched during the course of its life but I had to let it go and buy a fully stainless system - the Blitz Nur Spec-R which incidentally will be up for sale shortly!

I had a quick note from Nic this morning.

The vat is not a concern anymore. Even if there is any, it will be minimal.

Thanks for your reassurances Nic.

On the exhaust question.

This guy here wants to make a pipe where the bends are angular rather than smooth bends.

That doesnt sound right to me.

Would really like to get a new rear section properly made.

John