The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TomTom 500/700 or RA Navigator, looking to buy for Supra

KaoriFan

Hi, hope someone can help, please.

I am interesting in adding Sat Nav to the car, so would appreciate anyone's views on which system is better, either the TomTom 500 or 700, or the Road Angel Navigator.

i have seen from postings on forum about each, but maybe missed if their was a comparison done.

i was looking at the Pioneer AVIC as well, but that is more expensive, and not sure if it has benefits, other than DVD player, which i could add separately anyways.

if anyone has other suggestions, i am open to that as well.

also, where would be the best place to purchase one of these from (i have checked out ebay, as usual), or maybe one for sale here.

thanks in advance for any advice you share with me.

all the best

Ian

(p.s. gave up on the Toyota one that came with the car, one of the buttons is broken, and am stuck at 25m grid in middle of Tokyo Bay, lol)

Ian, I have just bought a TTGO 300 and a mate bought a 500 a couple of months before chrimbo. We have both modified them etc and been talking about the pros and cons of all models, the outcome ?

Well, my advice all thing considered i.e. price, value for money, functionality, processor, memory etc ... go for a TomTom One - seriously :)

My 0.02.

Shaun.

i just upgraded to a ra navigator as had the new road angel 2 its good, cost me £299 as upgrading and had to take 3rs subs out, then my mate rang them and said he wanted to upgrade to the navigator, he had his delivered yesterday, funny thing was he,s never had a road angel, so he is happy as there about 5-6 hundred

Ian, I have just bought a TTGO 300 and a mate bought a 500 a couple of months before chrimbo. We have both modified them etc and been talking about the pros and cons of all models, the outcome ?

Well, my advice all thing considered i.e. price, value for money, functionality, processor, memory etc ... go for a TomTom One - seriously :)

My 0.02.

Shaun.

Mods????

thanks Shaun and Gaz for your advice on the Sat Nav.

i am moving towards the Tom Tom range, even though i liked the Navigator first. will look into it more, but from brief reading, seems you get more 'bang for your buck' with Tom Tom.

also want to be able to update it easily and add the 'extras' mentioned here

it's been good getting first hand input, rather than just a sales guy to make a sale.

all i have to do now is sort out a DVD player (that does mp3 in folders), and a DVD screen, thats gonna be my next round of questions ;)

cheers once again

Ian

go to somerfields at the mo they are doing a pda with sat nav stuff on it , bin it and run tomtom its sooper dooper and fully portable its a mitac mio 168 rebranded and they are a cool tool reduced from £250 to £129

I haven't got a clue about these pda's, can you answer a few questions please? :help:

How would it perform compared to a standard tom tom unit, do you still get the voice commands and stuff.

Is it easy to put the tom tom software on it, is it free?

Anything else I need to know?

How would it perform compared to a standard tom tom unit, do you still get the voice commands and stuff.

Works just fine here :)

Is it easy to put the tom tom software on it, is it free?
Yes, and yes (at least, it can be :eyebrows:)

Anything else I need to know?
Don't think so - there are quite a few web links (mostly torrents) on the free stuff.

as simple as to use as any other tom tom but you get the use of it being portable an mp3 player ,watch movies stuck in traffic and it plays games its a small pc , putting tomtom is a doddle it takes 5 mins , you get all the voice commands, celebrity voices,speed camera warnings and 7 didgit postcode, best bit of kt i bought and they come with car kits i the box, the only down side is they can be quiet unless you go for the amplified car kit which i did for £20 new on ebay

as simple as to use as any other tom tom but you get the use of it being portable an mp3 player ,watch movies stuck in traffic and it plays games its a small pc , putting tomtom is a doddle it takes 5 mins , you get all the voice commands, celebrity voices,speed camera warnings and 7 didgit postcode, best bit of kt i bought and they come with car kits i the box, the only down side is they can be quiet unless you go for the amplified car kit which i did for £20 new on ebay

Sounds very good, you've convinced me. :)

go to somerfields at the mo they are doing a pda with sat nav stuff on it , bin it and run tomtom its sooper dooper and fully portable its a mitac mio 168 rebranded and they are a cool tool reduced from £250 to £129

Piehound, if you can get them for that much, can I send you a cheque, as I went into 3 somerfields down here, and none of them had any!!

I'll cover postage as well BTW.

Piehound, any chance you could me in the direction of an evaluation copy of Tom Tom Navigator 5.

I've looked on here and elsewhere without much luck.

Just need UK maps with postcode stuff.

Thanks for recommending the unit from Somerfields, very nice.:)

i looked today and no joy they have all gone

merckx pm me your addy and all sort you out with the latest stuff and ill do some easy instructions to set up the latest version and the bang up 2 date map ill also clone my sd card so all you need do is copy it to yours to give you the latest camara stuff etc