The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Arghhh what to do

dangerous brain

OK as a lot of you know my TT aerotop has been for sale for a while now. If I'm honest I haven't wanted it to go really and as such haven't been overly keen or welcoming towards potential buyers which is probably why its still sat outside my house.

I bought a TT pimped up aristo which looks the knackers.

Now for the dilemna.

My Mrs does not like the 6 speed box in the aristo. She reckons it is at best agricultural. This evening she said to me and I quote

"I think I'd prefer to struggle with the pram in the back of the supra than drive that aristo anymore".

Bugger me sideways... Now I love the supe to bits. Its my favourite all time car. It is however all but sold. I also love the aristo for its looks and size and accomodation. I'm not a huge fan of the 6 speed box myself either but I am skilling up on driving a high power manual car now.

What the hell do I do?

Do I sell the supe still as planned?

Do I sell the aristo and keep the supe??

If it wasn't for the small matter of a tax bill impending sometime this year I would keep them both.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK as a lot of you know my TT aerotop has been for sale for a while now. If I'm honest I haven't wanted it to go really and as such haven't been overly keen or welcoming towards potential buyers which is probably why its still sat outside my house.

I bought a TT pimped up aristo which looks the knackers.

Now for the dilemna.

My Mrs does not like the 6 speed box in the aristo. She reckons it is at best agricultural. This evening she said to me and I quote

"I think I'd prefer to struggle with the pram in the back of the supra than drive that aristo anymore".

Bugger me sideways... Now I love the supe to bits. Its my favourite all time car. It is however all but sold. I also love the aristo for its looks and size and accomodation. I'm not a huge fan of the 6 speed box myself either but I am skilling up on driving a high power manual car now.

What the hell do I do?

Do I sell the supe still as planned?

Do I sell the aristo and keep the supe??

If it wasn't for the small matter of a tax bill impending sometime this year I would keep them both.

Well mate being as this is a Supra forum I'm guessing most of us would say keep the Supra?

See what the boys on the Aristo forum say.

My head would be saying sell both and buy a newish sensible family car.

My heart would be saying flog the Aristo, keep the supe and buy a 2nd, much cheaper family run around.

Edited to add - think about something like a Volvo T5, or maybe a newer 9** model estate. Lots of seats & luggage space, comfortable, quick, reliable, safe (esp. for the little ones) and also very cheap for the amount of car. £2k should see you a decent one.

Why do you need the Aristo mate? Do both your family's cars need to be family cars - if you know what I mean!

Well I take the diesel to work as I work 50 miles from home and the supe at 18 mpg best isn't an ideal car for that sort of thing. So in a word yup I do need 2 family cars. Reason I got an estate is because I needed a heavyish decent sized car for camping and towing the caravan and after seeing the aristo and its stupid lowness realised that it wasn't gonna cut much mustard in that department. We initially decided that the supe just wasn't gonna work with a baby and pram (lets face it not exactly easy is it?) but she so much loves the supra as do I and so far hasn't found an ounce of love for the aristo unlike me. Bit of a quandry. Especially as my supe is all but sold and I may have to wait a while for a buyer for the aristo. After its been in J-tuner (ooops :) ) It should sell no bothers but theres always that doubt.

Keep the Supra, you know you want to ;)

The operation of the 6 speed box is hardly a revelation. It has been described as agricultural by most people who've driven one.

That doesn't necessarily detract from its appeal, it's just how they are, and if you really want a manual car you learn to live with it.

I've driven a few 6 speeds, and personally didn't find it too daunting, but, I suppose, compared to a run of the mill car, I wouldn't call it slick :D

Hmmmm now I am hardly surprised at the response here but it really is saying what my heart wants to hear. If it weren't for the pesky tax bill I'd keep both :) I may have to let fate decide here. Advertise the aristo and if a buyer crosses my palm with silver before the guy that has made his offer on the supra pitches up with his money then the aristo goes. If not someone will have to learn to like manual :D . Without wanting to open a can of worms though I really don't understand the fuss people make over this 6 speed box.

Reason I got an estate is because I needed a heavyish decent sized car for camping and towing the caravan

you could always give up camping, its a sacrafice thta I'AM willing to make:rlol: as they hold traffic up and also hgv drivers that overtake @ 0.0001 mph faster than the vehicle they are overtaking...............its the small things that p#ss me off

You're not the first person to prefer the auto :) Personally I loved my manual but we are all different :D

The thing is tho, the Supe isnt best practical, not sure Id want to be ramming prams and baby seats in and out of it. You could sell both and get an auto aristo ?

It's simple:

1) Buy your misses another, more practical car with a gearbox that suits her...

2) Get a manual supe TT and continue 'skilling up' on the box, with the satisfaction that this is a car that requires some skill to drive, unlike a daily driver for going to the shops :D

Alternative to 2) would be to keep the aristo of course but only drive it yourself, tell the missus to get used to it or you will get her something else.

Think that is fair? lol. At the end of the day you have to decide why you have the car and who it is for, maybe there is no "one car for all purposes" - or any such car will always be comprimised in some area or another...

I may have to let fate decide here. Advertise the aristo and if a buyer crosses my palm with silver before the guy that has made his offer on the supra pitches up with his money then the aristo goes. If not someone will have to learn to like manual :D . Without wanting to open a can of worms though I really don't understand the fuss people make over this 6 speed box.

I agree with you let the fates decide :)

What do you mean about the gear box :more: