The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Were Supra's sold in germany, if so...

JohnK

Were the ECU's different?

Page 100 of the owners manual recomends different procedures for starting the car and driving off for German owners.

Basicly it says anyone outside germany should let the engine idle for 10 seconds before driving or if below freezing, a few minutes.

In Germany, Drive off straight away.

Is this down to German legislation or are the ECU's different?

I was in germany in the early 90's and stayed with a german family for a week. When they stopped at traffic lights they would turn the engine off then start the engine again to move off. I asked them what it was all about and they said that germans were encouraged not to leave the engine running while the car was stationary. I'm not so sure it made a lot of diiference though.

Could that explain the german manual?

I was in germany in the early 90's and stayed with a german family for a week. When they stopped at traffic lights they would turn the engine off then start the engine again to move off. I asked them what it was all about and they said that germans were encouraged not to leave the engine running while the car was stationary. I'm not so sure it made a lot of diiference though.

Could that explain the german manual?

were they trying to boost smog levels?

how odd?

In the UK we are allowed to drive left or right hand drive cars. In Japan obviously the cars are right hand drive so importing them is pretty easy.

In the US, lots of places in Europe etc they are not allowed to register right hand drive cars, as they obviously normally drive left hand drive cars and therefore no jap imports!

Hello. Yes, the MKIV was sold in Germany, 782 were sold from 1993 to 1996.

Your second speculation is right. In Germany it's forbidden to let the engine run just to warm-up it for environment protectional reasons.

RHD cars aren't forbidden in Germany, it's just no-one wants them as they are quite impractical to drive in a country where you drive on the right side.

Anyway, there are some J-Specs (maybe 10) and UK-Specs driving around, some of the drivers are even active here.

Originally Posted by jt2000

Nah, you got something wrong, at traffic lights it wouldn't make any sense to turn off the engine as it would take too much time to start the engine again when the lights turn to green;)

But you are asked to turn off the engine when waiting at a railway crossing, there are signs that say "Turn off the engine when lights red".

And last but not least, the Swiss Supras have different diff ratios from the German specs, that would explain the difference in speed :)