The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Decating and the LAW

dave barratt

:tumble: I got concerned the other day after talking to a MOT mechanic. He said that the LAW is enforcing Road side Emission testing in a big way these days. Spot checking cars by doing emission testing using portable kit. He said that if found over the limit the car would not be allowed to carry on with its journey and be impounded. A fee would have to be paid to release the car. A fixed penalty notice would be issued (£60), also you could receive fix penalty points on your license. What are your views on this guys?

Anyone had a nasty experience of this. Your comments would be most welcome.

Have a look at this report Very interesting reading !!!

http://www.nsca.org.uk/assets/RET_TRL_report.pdf

I'm speculating here ---- but they'd have to use the early limits then, wouldn't they?

Those for 1992 and before.

If your oxygen sensor is operational and you're on closed loop, it should not be far off I wouldn't think.

I wouldn't be keen to give them many details on the roadside (as an example)

Mine has a registration starting with "B", go figure eh?

a member from a another owners club had problems with this. he didnt get an emissions test at the side of the road, however recieved a noticed to get it sorted within x number of days. AFIK the car was double decatted (UK spec) with veilside Ti exhaust (IIRC). the copper pulled him on grounds that the car was too loud, saying it wouldnt pass the MOT requirements etc. it unfolded to be a major ball ache, the local toyota not being very helpful at all even though they serviced and MOT'd the car for the last number of years, they didnt want to get involved with it now the plod were! there were also a couple of mistakes on the police's behalf! if you wanted a read i can dig out a link...

This might be a fairly technical question for 'Supra Chat', but still

for the growing number of singles (which i soon hope to join!) is it suggestable/advisable/possible to fit a 'sportscat' high flow catalyst somewhere in the system? or maybe run with a Cat out of something like, say a porsche or something (high flow)....or just not bother?!