The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hollinger sequential Gearbox

Suprasteve

anyone had any experiences with this gearbox ?

my mad friend has been offered a good deal for one for his R34 Skyline by Abbey Motor Sport. He has already spend a lot (obsene) amount of money on it already but just wondered whether its worth it.

His reasons for getting it is he has already broken the standard gearbox once before on a race track and concerned that it'll happen again especially if he takes it drag racing. But i've heard the servicing costs are loads and need rebuilds every 1,000 odd miles ! is this true ?

I think hes running 700+ BHP (i assume flywheel) are there any better options for him ?

Well if he likes spending money on his bad boy, go for the OS Giken sequential, but be warned its £10,000 just for the box but its pretty much indestuctable, this is what RB will more than likely tell him to get (being OS Gikens UK supplier). If i could afford, this is the route i would choose and Iam sure he'd think its money well spent, they also do air shifters for this box no more gear stick just buttons on the steering wheel yeah baby, would be a rocket, but again it ££££££ costs, hope he has success and gets what he wants out of it.

Well if he likes spending money on his bad boy, go for the OS Giken sequential, but be warned its £10,000 just for the box but its pretty much indestuctable, this is what RB will more than likely tell him to get (being OS Gikens UK supplier). If i could afford, this is the route i would choose and Iam sure he'd think its money well spent, they also do air shifters for this box no more gear stick just buttons on the steering wheel yeah baby, would be a rocket, but again it ££££££ costs, hope he has success and gets what he wants out of it.

I mentioned this to him and he did consider it but Abbey motor sport advised against it. They don't have much confidence in them.

Rocket Ronnie has a Hollinger fitted to his Skyline and has done a few thousand road miles and over 50 aggressive drag starts without any problems.

Abbey probably get a huge cut for selling the Hollinger !?!?!

he's got more money than sense in my opinion. good luck to him hey.

Parts for Holingers are hard to come by in the UK, but Holinger will ship air freight (at a price). He could consider the latest OS Giken dog box, or the Pfitzner dog box internals in an R33 GTR casing. Drag racing is a gearbox KILLEr especially in a 4WD car. Tell him to do some circuit racing instead, it's MUCH kinder to transmissions! What most drag racers with 4WD cars fail to appreciate is a proper clutch set up, one that has controlled slip, and which doesn't shock the whole drive train into oblivion.