The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Effect of the wrong Rad-cap?

Scoboblio

On the way into the train station tonight my newly acquired daily runner (1989 SOHC Cavalier SRI) started overheating (water temp gauge went up to about 105 degrees). When I stopped there was a small amount of steam coming out of a hose in the engine bay, which appears to have either split or popped off slightly and is now leaking.

Would a split hose like this cause the overheating? Spoken to the previous owner and he recently replaced the rad cap which failed a week or so ago, if he's got the wrong one (ie the pressure is too high), could this have caused the hose to die?

Please help guys, or I'm stranded at the train station at 9am tomorrow waiting for the RAC man :cry:

Thanks, the pipe has obviously got to be replaced, but is it possible (or common) for an incorrectly pressured rad cap to cause a hose to pop off?

Yes ofcourse, if the radcap is stuck and doesn't release pressure at 1 or 1.1bar (whatever it's supposed to be) then pressure will increase beyond that and something will pop.

Usually the weakest hose.

Yes ofcourse, if the radcap is stuck and doesn't release pressure at 1 or 1.1bar (whatever it's supposed to be) then pressure will increase beyond that and something will pop.

Usually the weakest hose.

I put a TRD cap on my car and a week later i had to replace my waterpump? :rolleyes: