The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aftermarket induction (HKS) kits - Why do highly tuned cars have them?

supRo

Now we all agree that alot of aftermarket filters are poo at filtration.

My question is why do alot of highly tuned cars use the HKS mushroom style filters for example? I'm sure these tuners (you see pictures everywear, just look at the jap tuning mags) know what they are doing, yes they could probably re-build engines as and when they please to but surely for the sake of an air filter, they wouldn't want to do an engine rebuild???

Just seeking knowledge so be gentle! Please discuss!

Thanks,

Ro

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I understand it, the stock airbox and filter are not a restriction until about 500BHP. All the cars you're talking about make way more than that

....or claim to :sly:

yes, but are they (tuners) not concerned at all about damage from the crappy filtered air?

edit to say: Surely K & N/apex-i style filter (cotton) would have been the obvious choice?

I have thought about this too,A massive company like HKS with all the testing etc,and some people say there filters are shite.To be honest i dont believe that,i mean yea stock airboxes are awsome on some cars like the supe,but i aint seen many cars that are tuned,or in magazines etc still with standard airboxes.Thats not to say follow the sheep,but with every car i'v had airfilter and exhaust have always been the first engine mods.And i dont think Hks would make a filter that doesnt do the job....But thats just my opinion :rolleyes:

As many will say, alot of aftermarket products are there just to sell stuff that makes the companies money but doesn't really benefit the car e.g. the hks cam gears which have sheared cam belts. So why do these respectable tuning houses use the mushroom filter???!!

But are those cars built to do real world high mileage. They aren't exactly daily drivers - even the ones that claim to be.

Does Terry S run with a HKS filter? Does Matt H, Does Ian C ? Leon?

Fair point, although Leon Uses 2 of those magic mushrooms!

....a lot of the big singles (both Supra and Skyline) that come over from japan ready tuned have HKS on, because they buy into the marketing blurb over there!

Like everywhere.

How many people with mullets in this country buy anything with a Blitz/HKS/Apexi logo on, however crap it is?

ok im gona forget this thread,my final say is,i dont believe at all that the japs ar mugs,they build some of the fastest and well built cars in the world,the tuning companys are the best in the world,and your telling me that hks etc are shite naaaaaaaa night night :rolleyes: