The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wipers

Mark Ayling

As its coming up to Winter, I thought I'd better get myself some proper windscreen wipers as mine currently don't work over 80mph!!!

Does anyone else have this problem?  If not, what wipers shall I get?  I think the ones that are on there now are standard H*lfords jobs.

I saw someone at Boxhill with some nice silver-coloured PIAA ones, I wouldn't mind a set of them....

Christ knows what Toyota will charge ....

but i'm sure they're good.

For my Golf I use Bosch wipers and they ARE good.  I tried 3 or 4 different types of wipers and they were all cr*p and then i tried these Bosch Hi-Performance ones (can't remember the *exact* name) and they're great.

My car has the OEM blades fitted. Quite a nice system to my mind as they sell just the wiper inserts on there own for a fiver. I just take the whole wiper into the spares dept at my local Toyota garage and the guy does it for me on the spot........great for the automotively challenged like me.

Halfrauds have a whole range with or without spoilers.... I use them and they are fine!

Whilst we are talking about them. In the centre of my field of view I always get a poorly wiped bit. Whatever speed I'm at. In heavy rain I have to jack up the seat to see over this area. I've changed the wipers and I've got no real improvement. Is there anything that I can do to my screen/ wipers to get them to clean this bit better. Are some wipers less sturdy/flexible than others - in which case my "brand" could be poor, or is my only escape to use RainX?

My wipers already have spoilers

(Edited by Alex Holdroyd at 12:53 pm on Sep. 10, 2001)

Mine are currently doing this at 85+, very annoying.  The only thing that got a result on my mkIII was to bend the wiper arm, very carefully and only by a tiny amount, towrads the screen so that it presses a bit harder.  It actually worked incredibly well.

I found that at 1000mph, my MkIV's drivers' side wiper will skip every single droplet of rain.  The passenger one functions flawlessly.  How ironic.

-Ian