The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What should I do??

Daston

Hi guys

My car got hit in a carpark between xmas and the new year, the guys car was still there so waited for him to return and he agreed to pay for the damages privatly and not go through his insurance (was late 60's). I got photos of the damage and also of his car plus a shot showing how he was parked well over the white lines. I got an estimate of £790 and sent this off to him, but now I cant get hold of him. Anyone know where I stand legaly with this??

Cheers

David

If you contact your insurance to make a claim, even if they don't pay out, you still have to answer 'Yes' every time you're asked if you've made a claim.

At your age, this could add up to a pretty penny in the next 5 years in extra premiums. So think hard.

If it is proven to be 100% his fault, and they agree to pay (sometimes they refuse to pay if the incident didn't happen on public roads) you will STILL have to say 'yes' to the answer 'have you made any claims in the past 5 years'

NCBs etc are conveniently bypassed.

Can't win, canya?

I used to have a named driver on my policy who had been chrased into a few times but didnt tell the insurance company. Could they void and would they only be able to void if the named driver had the accident? Sorry for the hijack!

If you contact your insurance to make a claim, even if they don't pay out, you still have to answer 'Yes' every time you're asked if you've made a claim.

At your age, this could add up to a pretty penny in the next 5 years in extra premiums. So think hard.

Yes, but if it's a 'proper' insurance company they should also ask 'was the accident your fault?'... this would make it a non-fault claim, and therefore not harm your premium... it's not costing them a penny so why should they care..? your still the careful driver they first insured... ;)

Unfortunately because your off public road etc he dont by law have to pay for any damages for a crash, not in the DVLA area, I personally would go the road of ttelling the police, and claim that he vandalised your car and is now refusing to pay for it.

Contact the police. In my experience they've acted as an intermediary "this person wants to contact you, do you want to call them here are the details" type thing.

This happened to me after a small knock.

Didnt' you get address and signed statement?

Yes, but if it's a 'proper' insurance company they should also ask 'was the accident your fault?'...

Oh yeah, it doesn't weigh as much as a claim where they had to pay out.

Of course not.

this would make it a non-fault claim, and therefore not harm your premium... it's not costing them a penny so why should they care..?

They DO care because someone with a dozen 'no fault' claims is not the same as someone with none.

The first one is perceived as more risky, so most risk-premium algorithms account for that.

Not all underwriters use the same calculations, but a few that I know of do have strong similarities.