The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VVTI Speedo converter question

jot_ie

For all you VVTI owners here

I am currently putting together a list of stuff that needs sorting on my car, just to get an idea of how much I need to spend to get it properly sorted.

I have a decision to make with regard to selling / keeping it.

Have you guys got speedo converters. The little device behind the dash that converts from km/h to mph.

If so which one do you have.

I believe that; incorrectly fitted, or a crappy converter can mess up the power steering, and other things.....

I believe Pete from Thor was developing a unit specifically for the VVTI. But no sign of it yet.

The one I have is of the crappy variety and is not helping with the handling problems I am having.

John

Not sure what mine is (I've not found it yet! Must be behind the dash somewhere) but it makes the T/C go funny sometimes.

Pete at Thor was working on one but that's the last I heard.

I've read that you can install them closest to the speedometer and avoid splicing near the ECU. This way the power steering and other systems shouldn't have an altered signal and still recieve KPH.

It was discussed in length some time ago. Search for "vvti delimeter" and it should come up.

Please let me know how it goes.

Not sure what mine is (I've not found it yet! Must be behind the dash somewhere) but it makes the T/C go funny sometimes.

It's normally in the passenger footwell, near the ECU.

IME, all VVT-i tiptronics have problems with the traction control, once they've had a speed converter fitted :(

The THOR is the least troublesome, but its still a PITA

I wasted a lot of time messing around with mine, (speed converter, not arse :D) all to no avail, so I just switch it off whenever I get in the car. The stock traction control is crap anyway, so it's no great loss :)

It's normally in the passenger footwell, near the ECU.

I know. Mine isn't. I need to spend some time with my screwdriver and some daylight.

The stock T/C isn't sooo bad. I've noticed a few times it held me back slightly (and rightly so). The snow thing is bloody annoying though.

My speedo converter is behind the dash, wired straight into the back of the speedo unit.

As for the tc I usually switch it off, mainly because I have racelogic tc.

I havent had that many problems with the converter interfering with other parts of the car, except for the progressive power steering.

I am sure its contributing to my handling problems.

Although recently I have found that the warning triangle lights up from time to time. Especially if you floor it and then lift off the accelerator. Thats only started happening recently.

Are there any manufacturers making a reliable unit for the vvti?

John.

:confused: What are the symptoms of a problematic traction control? I have a tip-VVTi and I must admit the T/C is VERY abrupt (and then stays on). Is this what you mean?

I think that's normal in a crap kind of way.

For me I find the trac light flashes and it slows me down at around 115 (funnily enough around the normal limit) and then works ok.

It would be nice to take the speed converter off and see how it drives, if it goes into Snow mode so easily etc.

Although recently I have found that the warning triangle lights up from time to time. Especially if you floor it and then lift off the accelerator. Thats only started happening recently..

Sounds stupid but check your brake fluid level....seriously!

I had one of the first UK VVTi Tiptos a few years back and had all sorts of problems with gearshifts, kickdowns etc.

A better speedo conversion from Pete and properly wired electronics from Leon (JPS) did the trick, til I rolled the booger (nothing to do with the conversion, just me!)

My latest VVTi I was conviced had handling problems with the power steering at HIGH speed, we thought is was all sorts from lack of rear spoiler to active front spoiler etc.

Since I have had proper suspension fitted though it's rock solid and handles like a dream.

I too have RLTC and it is rather good - turn the old rubbish off anyway!

R

It would be nice to take the speed converter off and see how it drives, if it goes into Snow mode so easily etc.

I did actually do this, and the car, unsurprisingly, drove fine. No going into snow mode at every opportunity, but, when it decided to come into play, the traction control was just as abrupt.

The only disadvantages to running without the speed converter is that the speedo reads and clocks up in Km and the top speed is limited to 112 mph :(

The only disadvantages to running without the speed converter is that the speedo reads and clocks up in Km and the top speed is limited to 112 mph :(

Yeah

That.

After spending money to increase power, it doesnt make sense to leave it restricted.

Does anyone know if thors top speed delimiter works on the vvti.

Last year all the speed limits were changed here from mph to km/h, so I dont really need the converter, just the side effect of delimiting the car.

John