cos i think i might have it ......

On a hard take-off (with lots of revs....   been practising for Pod..)  you

get some wheelspin and then a "thud thud thud thud" noise from the rear end

of the car.     Don't know what it is.   Can only imagine it's this mythical

axle tramp.

can anyone shed light on the noise and if there's anything i can do about it

??

is it normal ?

Axle tramp used to be caused when leaf springs got wound up by the torque developed by a fast take off. This cause the springs to distort into an 'S' shape which is unatural so the springs tried to straighten out again thus causing a tramping effect of the wheels bouncing.

With the setup on a Supra this I believe shouldn't happen (but I'm prepared to accept differently) and what I believe is happening is similar but not the same.

As you try taking off quickly the wheels will lose their grip as noted by the spinning, the grip starts to come back as the road speed increases but not in a uniform manner so what you're getting is 'spin, grip, spin, grip' again causing a possible bouncing effect in the suspension. You should feel this. If you're not getting any bouncing at the rear then I would check all your bushes because theres some other movement in the drivetrain causing this thudding.

It was doing it before my shocks were replaced with Jap-spec shocks off a low-mileage J-spec car.

and it's STILL doing it.     So doesn't look like the shocks.

I am getting pis*ed off with how bouncy my car still is though.  That's why i "upgraded" to J-spec as i heard it was 25%-ish stiffer than UK-spec and it's still way too soft (springs and dampers).    trying to find 2nd-hand Toyota Bilsteins though is almost impossible (not to mention stupid money for 2ndhand shocks.   Leon was quoting £350+VAT just for the PARTS. (2nd-hand).