The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dilemma 1998 V 2001 supra

jot_ie

Need some input here guys

As some will know I have had some recurring (more pain in the ass) problems with my supra. Not big problems, just harder to solve due to lack of competent resources, and parts, this side of the pond.

There is a 2001 black supra for sale here in Dub and I am seriously tempted.

Its a tt but its also an auto. Paddle shift I think

No skirts, spats etc. I think its completely standard except for 18" wheels.

No rear spoiler either, which I dont like. I would much prefer that it had one

This is it

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_detail.asp?CBGID=342819&ID=577815&NumPics=3&Make=Toyota&Model=Supra%20Twin%20Turbo&frmFilter=

Its been on sale for a while so I may be able to get it for less than the asking price.

The fact that its an auto and not quicksilver is putting me off

Having a look tomorrow morning

But I really dont want to sell mine.

(keeping it, as well, is not an option)

Its a 98 vvti tt 6spd Quicksilver.

What would you do

Your opinions appreciated.

John

Thought you were going to bring it across for Chris Wilson to sort out?

Much cheaper than getting the 2001 car.

I would keep the car you've got and get it fixed, personally I wouldn't like to sell a car that had problems without informing the buyer .This would obviously mean you would get less for the car.

I suppose its a case of trading some of the problems that I have now for the possibility of problems later, just so I can drive a supra for the next few years.

I would be interested to talk to anyone here that could be of assistance.

My first choice would be to take it to Chris W.

Unfortinately, by the time I add up the costs involved its nearly cheaper to buy another car

I have never been happier with any other single thing I have bought, since the day I bought my supra. That may be familiar to some ......

Mkes it harder to part with it, even for another supra.......

Sad I know.

John

Rear spoilers aren't expensive I'd personally look at a TRD one with a carbon insert on a black car. A 3 year newer car one of the last in pretty much stock condition is gonna be worth a few quid in years to come. OK its auto but its the tiptronic one. And without wanting to re-raise the auto manual debate its worth considering an auto VVTi. I would be asking the question what its going to cost you to make the swap, that would be my deciding factor.

29 grand for a Supra.... You'd have to be a madman, in my opinion. You could buy 6 older TT models for that! Obviously it's your money, and nothing to do with me, but the only way I would invest 29 K in a Supra would be at gunpoint :)

Calm yourself Chris - the price is in Euros.................Still expensive tho'

You'd be talking about £3,000 GBP difference between what you want and that one. Whose to say you won't buy in to more problems?

I'd stick with what you've got. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to bring here on a ferry and EasyJet yourself back?

Or if you stuck it on a ferry that side and someone here picked it up?

29 grand for a Supra.... You'd have to be a madman, in my opinion. You could buy 6 older TT models for that! Obviously it's your money, and nothing to do with me, but the only way I would invest 29 K in a Supra would be at gunpoint :)

Lol chris

The price is in Euros.

Expensive for sure, but the prices for supras has always been quite high here

You'd be talking about £3,000 GBP difference between what you want and that one. Whose to say you won't buy in to more problems?

I'd stick with what you've got. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to bring here on a ferry and EasyJet yourself back?

Or if you stuck it on a ferry that side and someone here picked it up?

Pete

It may very well cost more than the difference you mentioned by the time all the costs are added up.

eg its just about €2000.00 for the control arms ( back and front)

€600 for 2 new bridgestones for the front. ..........

John

A 3 year newer car one of the last in pretty much stock condition is gonna be worth a few quid in years to come. OK its auto but its the tiptronic one. And without wanting to re-raise the auto manual debate its worth considering an auto VVTi. factor.

This is pretty much my line of thought at the moment

I imagine he spotted that...although it is Friday night so he might've been down the pub :whistle:

I've been battling with Linux, I now reckon I SHOULD have gone down the pub! Got Knoppix working, Ubunto hangs on the loading sequence. Who thinks of these Unix names, they both sound ridiculous, Ubunto sounds like a Nigerian potentate offering you a fortune from some relatives will, Knoppix sounds like something unpleasant for which you enter the clinic via the fire exit in the hope no one will see you!

Anyway, I didn't notice it was in Euros, my apologies, it would merely be crazy to pay that much, but no longer certifiable ;)

I imagine he spotted that...although it is Friday night so he might've been down the pub :whistle:

Exactly where I should be. lol

Anyway. I am going for a look in the morning. Take it for a spin.

Will let you know.

Many thanks for all your input.

I cant believe the recomendations to keep my own 98 over a 01.

I would have expected the opposite.

Although to be honest I was feeling that way myself.

John

I've been battling with Linux, I now reckon I SHOULD have gone down the pub!

Yes you should!

I know this is a major divert from the thread...but just in case people are interested.....

The hanging thing is probably down to unsupported hardware. None of them like my notebook and do similar.

If you really want to play the best thing is for me to make give you a VMWare image and you can download the free vmware player and use that. It's like running a complete independant computer within your Windows environment. Much safer than messing with your current hard drive setup and no driver worries! If you want I'll drop a disk to you with a VMWare image on.

Q: Where did the name "Knoppix" come from?

A: Knoppix's inventor, Klaus Knopper.

What does "Ubuntu" mean?

Ubuntu is an African word, which has been described as "too beautiful to translate into English". The essence of ubuntu is that "a person is a person through other people". It describes humanity as "being-with-others" and prescribes what "being-with-others" should be all about. Ubuntu emphasises sharing, consensus, and togetherness. It's a perfect concept for Free Software and open source.

Remember - Linux isn't UNIX, is a compatible Kernel. BSD isn't Linux but is the most like UNIX you can get for free. UNIX is trademarked and expensive. (Sun, SCO, HP, IBM et al have their own official UNIX)

Just back from a test drive of the 01 supra.

Lovely car, completely stock except for the 18" wheels.

New rubber all 'round.

Drives like a dream and handles beautifully.....which has really pissed me off.

Now I know what I have been missing for the last two years

My own handles like a wheelbarrrow by comparison.

I dont think its as direct or aggressive as the 6 spd.

now I really dont know what to do..

John

Just back from a test drive of the 01 supra.

Lovely car, completely stock except for the 18" wheels.

New rubber all 'round.

Drives like a dream and handles beautifully.....which has really pissed me off.

Now I know what I have been missing for the last two years

My own handles like a wheelbarrrow by comparison.

I dont think its as direct or aggressive as the 6 spd.

now I really dont know what to do..

John

Was about to post what did you think. I guess you have to decide which car is going to give you the most satisfaction, maybe the trip to CW is worth a thought. ( thanks again for the chat mate:respekt: )

Ask for a longer test drive ie a day. Drive it home and swap the suspension over and the wheels with the help of a mechanic obviously. Best of both worlds :) I'm sure they won't notice.

If all it is going to cost you is £3k then remember that a new set of tyres do cost in the region of £600 cheapest if you shop around and £800 if you go local. OK you are going value basis from a 6 speed to an auto so there is a couple of grand there but you are coming up 3 years and thats worth every penny of 4 or 5 grand miles dependent. If it was a 2002 model I would say without hesitation do the swap. One thing I will say is this. Beware of falling into the trap of thinking that your car is "worth" X amount. Until you have X amount in your pocket for the car its not worth that much. I've discovered this to my detriment when trying to sell my car that AFAIK is worth £14k but hasn't sold at that so I have to accept significantly less.

Hmm bit of a pickle.

Spend 3k? fix yours ( I dunno whats wrong with it ) or spend circa 3K on top of yours to get a newer one. What happens down the road when the newer one gets problems you cant keep swapping them when they need fixing can you ?;).

Dunno ultimately it's what car screams to you drive me and what one feels right to you . Personaly i would rather stick with the devil i know as either way it going to cost you .

There is that but lets be real here. How many people on here have had a dodgy handling 1998 supra with problems? I'd hazard a guess at none. These cars usually just don't go wrong. His one I would chalk down as an anomoly sort of herbies nemesis (ie a car thats meant to be brilliant being crap instead of like herbie the other way round)