The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS External Waste Gate Problems

Andy-No-Knee

I have a single kit using a HKS waste gate, 50mm I think, and I am 99% sure there are problems with it.

The boost controller is set to ope at 1.3 bar, and when driving the waste gate starts to open on the spring pressure of .9bar, and then at 1.3 opens fully.

Until it opens it is pulling like George Cluny in a Nurses home, and then when the spring goes it goes down to about half the effect that it was and then at 1.3 there is no more.

So I think that either

a there is a leak in the pipework from the controller to the waste gate

b the join at the waste gate is leaking

c the waste gate is fekked

d (only a slight poss) the boost controller is set up wrong.

The controller is an Apexi AVCR

Picture of the waste gate attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to test the above said bits without having to strip them off? Or suggestions on what to do otherwise I will have to strip it all down and still wont know what I am looking for.

wastegate1.JPG

Carlos to check the wastegate, just run a single line straight from the compressor cover to the side port on the gate. Leave the top port unhooked. It should boost ok to the waste gate spring setting.

Have you checked your vacum lines and how have you set them up?

COM port on boost controller runs to top of the waste gate. Side of the wastegate goes to the Boost reference (Turbo compressor housing port) are is Tee'd into the NC port of the boost controller. The other port of the boost controller NO which is used for normal wasgtegates isnt used and just leave it left open.