The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Query about personal plate on Import Supra

CapMan

Does anyone know what the score is with registering a private plate on an Imported Supra? I know that you aren't allowed to fit a plate that is newer than the car, but when they are imported, are they considered as a 2006 car or does it go by the year of thew actual manufacture? :rtfm:

Its even more confusing in that over here in Northern Ireland, we don't have age-related plates, so an import or indeed a car brought over from the mainland UK can be registered with a brand new registration!:whistle:

What i want to do is put a 51 english plate (year 2001) onto a Supra (when i get round to getting one) which will probably be a mid-90's car.:innocent:

Cheers,

Craig

The plate is decided by the year of manufacture. 93's will be K/L 94's will be L/M etc. You cannot put a 51/52/01/02 plate on a car that has been manufactured in the 90's.

There were a few cars somehow managed to get though the system (mistake a DVLA) and got a reg plate for the import year rather than year of manufacture, but these are extremely rare.

I believe it's the year the car was first registered rather than the year of manufacture.

Do you mean the year that it was first registered in the UK?

Reason that i'm enquiring about this is that a guy on another forum has been allowed the 4 year rule for being exempt from the MOT test, just because his MR2 was imported then registered in the UK. Its being treated as new car rather than being considered as the caracording to the year it was born.:badidea:

Do you mean the year that it was first registered in the UK?
No I mean the year it was first registered anywhere. I believe it has all these details on the japanese deregistration certificate.

Sounds like that other guy's car was declared as new when registered here.

Not sure what 'caracording' means

.... a guy on another forum has been allowed the 4 year rule for being exempt from the MOT test, just because his MR2 was imported then registered in the UK. Its being treated as new car rather than being considered as the car acccording to the year it was born

That's a cock-up by the DVLA (unless it actually was new when it was imported).

and it's 3 years, not 4, isn't it? :)

Nope it wasn't new, it is a Toyota MR2 G-Limited, he was able to tax the car with no MOT. I think you are maybe right in saying that its a cock-up with the DVLA.

I think that clears up my query about the plate anyway, think i'll forget about it, although i wouldn't mind buying the plate for a future car i may have. It spells my name and initials about as close as possible on a reg plate. :)

If you register the car immediately with a private plate, when you remove that plate and ask for a standard DVLA issued plate, I believe that they used to put the year it was first registered in the UK. i.e. I had mine registered straight into the UK on my private plate, if I remove that plate for a standard item, the DVLA might issue a plate that relates to the fact that the car was first registered in the UK in 2003.

This only used (really not sure if it has been picked up by the DVLA yet) to work if you had the car registered directly into the UK on a private plate.

Jake: caracording = car according