The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Test drive etiquette

garetheves

With my car being up for sale now, im expecting 1 or 2 people will want to test drive it. Now heres my dilema: Obviously its a performance car and the (potential) owner is going to want to see what it can do performance wise but i dont want to give the impression that the car has been abused and ragged everywhere (which being a fairly young driver 23, it may come accross that way). How would you approach the subject of flooring it on a test drive? Leave it up to the viewer? If he asks to go fast then do?

Also whats the deal with insurance, obviously mine wont cover them so would i need to get them to bring proof that they would be insured with them? I owuld assume this to be the case but how easy is it to get proof from an insurance company about whether you are insured on other peoples cars.

I think you have to expect the buyer to want to drive the car themselves. I wouldn't buy a car unless I was able to drive it (although eyefi would probably confirm that I did the worst test drive in history when I bought my Supra off him, I didn't exactly put the car through it's paces, lol).

Also for many people this will be the first time they've driven a Supra, so they'll almost certainly want to get a feel of the driving position, etc. So with regardless to your 'if they ask to, do I floor it?' comment, I think you're going to have to accept that you will have to let them do the driving.

Suggest you find a good bit of road nearby that you can include on the test drive where they can floor it to check performance and turbo smoke, etc. Then if you make it clear that 'there's a fast bit coming up' it's implied that there is a set time&place for them to do that bit and that the rest of the testdrive should be conducted at a more reasonable pace. Afterall, it's still YOUR car until they buy it.

Insurance - tricky one. I'm not sure how to approach this myself. I think you just need to be strict with people and state that there are no test drives without proof of insurance. Having said that, I don't think many people are covered full comp for other cars - I know mine is only third party for other vehicles. Now if the potential buyer smacks it on the test drive... :eek:

All issues I've been pondering on myself recently.

The Supras I've sold I've taken it out first for a normal drive, floored it up the motorway up to 120 to prove its performance under load. Then got out somewhere quiet and swapped around for them to drive back leisurely (if they want). Luckily I've not had any knob heads wanting to thrash the car.

I'd just weigh up the person at the time best you can.

Both of the ones I test drove I was so careful (my mind was like "my god its a supra that I'm driving") plus I am only 21 so I needed to behave a bit more mature than normal (not that I drive like an idiot anyway but you know what I mean) just be carful and make sure you lay the rules down if they drive. The first one I test drove was Dan Hearts (was a member on here, was too slow with a deposit tho :() he was really cool with me and let me put my foot down when it was safe to. The second one was a dealer so was a bit more restrained.

It's your car, so you've every right to lay down the law...which incidentally says the driver must at least have 3rd party cover.

Take each case on its merits - you might get some spotty 18 year old who thinks he can take you for a ride, then brag to his mates about how he thrashed a Supra: tell him he can only have a passenger ride.

Just don't expect someone to pony up a pocketful of cash without ever driving it themselves.

I'd always want to take them in it myself first, so they can see how the turbos come online etc. Then either stop somewhere (not a layby where they have to join traffic or anything!!), or take it back to where you started and ask if they want to drive.

Definitely demand full insurance cover though, I know you won't get as many viewers etc but it's not worth the risk.

Only take out one person in the car with you(if their are more than one) ask them to leave their driving license at your house before you go for the drive. I would phone your insurance company and find out what the score is with regards to test drives and cover.

I believe though if they are 3rd party on another car and they crash while in the other car then their insurance company would have to pay up although i would get it confirmed with your insurer first.

Cheers for all the advice guys. Demanding insurance was a deffinate from the start, theres no way id let a stranger drive my car without insurance, i just wasnt sure how they prove it, so thats cleared that up - No certificate = no test drive.

Im going to be picky about who i take out for a spin, you can spot a serious interest over someone who just wants to see what they are like. Obviously the serious ones get a drive, the tyre kickers wont even get the doors unlocked.

Hijacking: ill make sure theres a surprise under the seat for anyone that tries that little number.

I like the suggestions about finding a road dedicated for the speedier section of the test drive, that way the buyer knows the rules and doesnt abuse them. Think its time to start planning a route out involving different types of road.

Cheers

I have a WONDERFUL tale about a customer buying my old R33 GTR Skyline, but it's SO politically incorrect I daren't post it here.. Suffice to say he didn't inspire a huge amount of confidence as he needed to be lifted into the car, as he was disabled, and when I asked if he'd driven one before, he said "Sure, I had one of my own for 6 months". I asked why he'd sold it, so he delved in his wallet and brought out a picture of a mangled, balled up heap of scrap that I'd have put a grand on no one being able to get out of alive (the remains of the roff had been cut off, it was barely recognisable as a car, let alone identifiable as to make or model), and he said "I had a bit of a prang in it, so I want another one, where can I see if handles better than the old one". I was totally bemused, reluctantly let him drive it, found him fast and competent, and did the deal within 30 minutes of him arriving. I think he wrote the one I sold him off, too, though :)

Like others have said, if the person who wants a test drive and they've got comprehensive they'll probably have third party cover to drive another car( but not always!).

Third party cover makes them legal to drive the car, but if they cause any damage or wreck your car then you're screwed!

If you're driving don't go too fast, just some relatively quick acceleration .

If they've done there homework they'll know it's capabilities, only go quicker if requested.

Driving fairly quick but smoothly is definately more impressive.

Was this why he was disabled?

No he had some sort of wasring disease, very sad, he was an incredibly nice bloke, who i kept in touch with. I was a bit taken aback when the only person to come to see it was so disabled he had to be helped in and out, it kinda takes you aback, then later makes you reassess your own problems.

hi, i guess i must be fair i veiwed 3 supras i woudnt buy a car without a test drive but then i wouldnt expect a "good fast test "drive unless i was sure id like to proceed subject to car driving to my liking. the car i bought was obviously the owners pride and joy so i had a good look then said theres a carrier bag of money if i crash it and its my fault.obviously if anything let go at 110 mph 4k revs then thats different. i wouldnt expect to go 160 mph to see if it stayed together some people dont do that themselves anyway.

hi, i guess i must be fair i veiwed 3 supras i woudnt buy a car without a test drive but then i wouldnt expect a "good fast test "drive unless i was sure id like to proceed subject to car driving to my liking. the car i bought was obviously the owners pride and joy so i had a good look then said theres a carrier bag of money if i crash it and its my fault.obviously if anything let go at 110 mph 4k revs then thats different. i wouldnt expect to go 160 mph to see if it stayed together some people dont do that themselves anyway.

I dont think id expect anyone to buy without a test drive, like yourself i certainly wouldnt. Also wouldnt let anyone but me take it to 160 leptons while it is still my car. Does this sound fair to everyone:

Plot a route of approx 5 miles of various roads and speeds. Drive steadily for the first few miles explaining a bit about the car (handling, suspension turbos and revs etc), hit the open stretch of road and if quiet blast it a bit to show them the power. Then pull into a very quiet road and let them have a quick drive but tell them not to go mad.