The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Technology

blert596

Wasn't sure whether to put this in the ICE section as I think its a more of a technology for cars thing. Sure the mods will move if they think best. Anyway...

I've just put a new memory card into my phone (1 Gig) that is the half the size of a postage stamp. Following on from the post about the Sim card now being able to slot into the car to give hands free, how long will it be until this becomes the norm for car entertainment. With 2 Gig cards available the potential is massive.

The 1 Gig sim I have allows me to store videos and play them on my phone. With the appropriate software, costing nothing, I can now reduce complete films and watch them (AVI) on my phone. The memory compression is great and the quality is superb for a phone. I currently have 18 short movies on the phone, loads of music, and still 450 Meg space for more. Coupled to this I have gone from MP3 to OGG (again at no cost whatsoever). This basically reduces MP3 files from approx 3 -4 Meg to 1-2 Meg, doubling the amount I can store. Ipod killer territory.

Does anyone think it will be anytime soon that there will be no more CD discs, CD changers, or DVD players being used in their cars? I currently have an MP3 capable head unit, and although this allows hundreds of tracks, I find that I'm still changing CDs as I drive along.

How easy would it to be just to have a slot in the dash that you just put your stamp sized card in and have an array of music/movies to choose from. All at good quality. As for radio reception, well, FM is readily available on phones already, so sorting that should be no problem.

With the huge monetary investments by the usual ICE companies do you think it will be anytime soon that this happens. They have a massive amount to lose on this IMO. While we, the punters have everything to gain.

Its the future I tell ya :music: :cool:

I think the CD may be around for a while due to price, I can remember when mini disk came out and how they were to be the best thing since sliced bread but they cost too much money so CD won I mean a CD is what .5p to make so until prices go down I cant see a change for a few years yet.

i have a car pc, and i am fitting a usb extension to the dash so i can just slot a memory stick in with all the music,videos, camera sd cards, etc.

technology is definately moving on, all cars will have pc's as standard in the future its just a matter of when.

at the moment i am trying to find something that i can just slot my sim card into for hands free via the pc, and monitor. there is a programme out now that you can connect your pc and mobile via bluetooth with, that lets you use handsfree and even video calling, but its at trial stages and only works with a couple of phones at mo, but its getting there.

it was only 14 years ago there was no such thing as a mkiv supra :ecstatic:

The data card, which is much smaller cost 40 odd quid, and is rewriteable, put it in a card reader and drag and drop files. No burning, no worry about scratches, failed writes, etc.

Before Xmas the cards were approx £60 so, as the capacity goes up and up on them, the price should come down and down.

The main point of the post was that, if taken up by the motor trade, you could simply get in your car, slot in the tiny card and have no moving parts (ICE wise) to worry about, no skipping, and no large (some would say unsightly) stereo system in the dash. The ICE system would consist simply of a 1/2 inch slot anywhere you wanted. And if required a screen tucked away somewhere.

The data card, which is much smaller cost 40 odd quid, and is rewriteable, put it in a card reader and drag and drop files. No burning, no worry about scratches, failed writes, etc.

Before Xmas the cards were approx £60 so, as the capacity goes up and up on them, the price should come down and down.

The main point of the post was that, if taken up by the motor trade, you could simply get in your car, slot in the tiny card and have no moving parts (ICE wise) to worry about, no skipping, and no large (some would say unsightly) stereo system in the dash. The ICE system would consist simply of a 1/2 inch slot anywhere you wanted. And if required a screen tucked away somewhere.

thats kind of what i was getting at with the usb in the dash, allthough the car companies would be able to put the investment into just a media engine rather than a full blown pc

From a tech point of view then yeah its a great peice of kit! I can see them doing a media centre but I think the CD has some life left in it yet. They may start adding ports to CD players with media card readers like you get on printers now a days.

yep lots of other tecnology out there but dvd's and cd's still have a lot of life in them yet.

from vhs to dvd and tape or vynl to cd there was a big quality aspect.

not so in this case, more gadgety and a little convenience :Popcorn:

well, to add my 2p worth...

I've got my 60gb iPod 'hooked up' to my head unit... so I have over 5,500 tracks (the most part of my collection).. but the problem is negotiating them all...

There is no easy way to do it... it's hard enough when your not driving and directly using the iPod... now try doing it through a head unit at some traffic lights...? the solution seems to be playlists...

The future isn't in the hardware, it's in the user interface... :idea:

Yeah well said I have always wondered how you set up an I pod as it dosnt know what album you want the best way would be voice, i.e you say "Play Album 1" that way they dont have to program album names and you just need to remember what album is where or just the general area

At work we've just got some solid state hard drives in, only 12GB at the moment but then there are only 2 in the world!!!! These ones still require a micro drive to back up the data stored on them because it's volatile flash memory, but they hope to add in solid state backups soon.

Basically these are designed to increase server performance (eg: 2 of these drives mirrored to each other with a dozen regular FC drives in a server, use the FC drives for data and the solid states for page info or cache etc. - they reckon server performance will be increased by up to 1000%!!!!!), they run sequential and random data at the same rate!!! Low power, very reliable, much more resiliant to shock and vibration, etc..

At the moment they aren't very good, but at least we're getting away from moving-part technology in storage devices - paving the way for super huge solid state storage in everything!! No more spinning discs.