The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-spec brake hoses V. UK spec brake hoses

Paul Booth

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of UK-spec calipers being delivered to me this week funnily enough. So I should be able to make some kind of comparison.

HTH

J

Quote: from Ash on 9:40 am on July 17, 2001[br]

I have a set of UK-spec calipers being delivered to me this week funnily enough. So I should be able to make some kind of comparison.

HTH

J

In time for me to take a pair with me on Saturday morning?

As a matter of interest, the Brembo brakes are a direct fit to both the UK and Jap spec cars. And the Brembos come with steel-braided lines. So the brake connection on the inner wing side must, therefore, be the same.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Ash on 10:10 am on July 17, 2001[br]

As a matter of interest, the Brembo brakes are a direct fit to both the UK and Jap spec cars. And the Brembos come with steel-braided lines. So the brake connection on the inner wing side must, therefore, be the same.

Yours,

J

So now we just need to know about the fitting into the front and rear callipers, i.e., same thread, length, etc.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the rears *are* the same as I've fitted UK rear callipers using the existing J-spec hoses.

Yours,

J

Quote: from Ash on 11:00 am on July 17, 2001[br]

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the rears *are* the same as I've fitted UK rear callipers using the existing J-spec hoses.

Yours,

J

OK. So now we just need to know about the front calliper fittings.

Are we the only ones on here today?

I just this minute got the UK calipers in the post. The buggers have cut the hoses so I dont know the length. The caliper fittings are the same as the J-spec though.  All I can do is to measure the Brembo hoses if that's any help.

Yours,

J

Quote: from HardHead42 on 1:48 pm on July 17, 2001[br]When I bought my hoses from Leon he said they fitted both. I asked as I was considering a UK spec brake upgrade and didn't want to have to buy another set.

Wow. Talk about withdrawal symptoms. The BBS was down.

Rich, have you got one old front and one old rear lying around. If so, I'll drive down tomorrow and borrow them, if I may?

Quote: from Ash on 2:07 pm on July 17, 2001[br]

I just this minute got the UK calipers in the post. The buggers have cut the hoses so I dont know the length. The caliper fittings are the same as the J-spec though.  All I can do is to measure the Brembo hoses if that's any help.

Yours,

J

Can I ask how much and where from (off-line email, if you want) please?

I just got off the phone with my local independent and he can't find flexibles listed for the Supra; must be dealer only.

My Toyota dealer has different parts listed for UK and J-spec.

Worse than that, although the rears are the same, the front hoses are handed, i.e. left and right are different part numbers.

Regardless of that, they would have to come from Toyota and delivery is not guaranteed any time soon.

Bottom line: if we can't find someone who has an old/new set they can loan us for a week, we're goosed for this trip.

Richard Jenkins is going tio have a look in his garage and failing that..........

Quote: from Phil Wall on 10:20 am on July 18, 2001[br]Paul

Are you ok for rears.

I can take one off my UK's tonight and do a 24 hour parcel force to you in time for the weekend.

Can't help on the fronts

Much obliged Phil. I hesitate to suggest anyone takes off a hose. It's a real hassle having to drain the system and then refill and bleed it afterwards; hence my not doing it with mine in the 30 minutes I will have to speak with the guys there.

If no one else steps forward with a couple of hoses, I have one last route to go. I sorta know someone with a full set of UK hoses not yet fitted to the car but he's a bit slow to respond to email and may not get back to me before tomorrow.

As of next week(ish), I own a set of UK brakes and hoses. If Rich is right that will make them OK for J-spec cars too.

I'm going to ship the hoses up to H-S for them to create a spec sheet and set a 'shop' price.

Hopefully, this will mean a resolution over the next 2-3 weeks.

Buggrit! Now I need wheels.

(Edited by Paul Booth at 12:18 pm on July 18, 2001)

I want to go on record and thank Rich Jenkins. He'd kept his original hoses and is loaning them to us for the purposes of getting the engineering specs drawn up.

So I will be able to take a set of hoses with me after all.

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/mica/monksit.gif

Quote: from GavinL on 10:08 am on July 19, 2001[br]Hi...

If you want the hoses to be doubly safe and stay nice and shiny get them shrink wrapped in clear plastic.

Erm. You mean with my trusty home shrink wrap kit?  http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/Reverend.gif

(Edited by Paul Booth at 12:21 pm on July 19, 2001)

I read that having full stainless sorts out the corrosion problem but won't stop grit getting under the braiding and attacking the teflon pipe.

If you have a home shrink wrap kit then fine, if that was sarcasm then I don't think it add much value to the thread.

Sorry, I forgot the :biggrin: icon.

I think we covered the issue of sleeving the braided hoses when we hammered this issue and the problem of the braiding being damaged by flying chippings. Once the braid is damaged the teflon hose has no strength, i.e., the strength is all in the braiding.

Hence, it's a given that a rubber over-sleeve is advisable when fitting braided flexibles.

I thought you were referring to my taking Rich's hoses up to Manchester with me.

• 3 weeks later...