The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Older Models disadvantages

Sandy-m2

The facelift cars were stiffer and I think had a bit more sound insulation, rubber seals on doors etc won't be in as good a condition on the older ones.

Always better to buy a newer car if you can .

But there are good and bad ones of all ages, depends if they've been looked after.

I've seen 13 year old jap twin turbos with 20-30K miles, lol...

Maybe I'm a bit sceptical, but it's just my nature. I'm sure those traders meant well.

At least with UK cars you stand a chance of seeing a service history, MOTs etc. Then you can make a couple of phone calls and see if you can verify them.

Guest paperboy
I have a K reg 93 with 113k km on the clock so not tons of miles compaired to the age of the car

I used to own an absolute minter of a storm blue 93 TT (bought it with 75,500and sold it with around 83,500) when I sold it back in the summer it was in the same condition as my just 2yrs old replacement!:read:

I was very luck to find mine and although I only owned it for a year it gave me zero problems, my advice would be to simply look with your eyes and not your heart

And you wouldn't be doing too badly in buying from someone off here (bought mine from here and also sold mine to someone who I beleive still comes here)

Think about it, Supras cost a fortune in petrol. These 40k 1993 cars might be genuine as they've been used as second 'toy' cars by Japanese who run a shitter for their work miles in the week. Also Tokyo etc has horrific traffic problems and cars get bought, not used due to the traffic and stored :)

I have a 93' J-spec TT, has 70k miles on it, and is like it came straight out of the show room basically, runs sweet, turbo's are fine. purrs nice. no probs (apart from rear diff bushes going), no biggy! miles arnt everything! i could'v have bought one with 30k on, but it could have been 30k of rev limiter and neglect!

UK Cars aren't that easy to find though are they? Is it true that you can no longer import cars older than 96?

Newer than '96, assuming there's no "model report" available.

As I understand it, however, come 2007 you'll be able to import a '97 and it will only need an MOT....

http://www.modelreports.com/faqs.html

Q. Does the ten year rolling rule still apply after April 1st 1997?

A. Yes it does. All vehicles 10 years or older do not need model reports or steering comparison reports. They are still straight to MOT.

The facelift cars were stiffer and I think had a bit more sound insulation, rubber seals on doors etc won't be in as good a condition on the older ones.

Always better to buy a newer car if you can .

But there are good and bad ones of all ages, depends if they've been looked after.

Are you sure about that? - Where's the extra stiffening?

I do agree that rubbers perish with age if they're not looked after.

I've not found any evidence of extra sound proofing. in any of the different models. In fact, One thing I have noticed from the number of cars I have seen, for some reason, the door panels on facelift cars seem to have problems around the door handle. The vinyl starts lifting. Maybe facelift owners are heavier handed :p