The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Kit Car rules and regs.

tbourner

Any kit car builders should know this one.

Aren't there rules for level and distance etc of lights? I know the MG ZT had to move the indicators because it's lower than the Rover 75 and the indicators would've been too low if left where they were.

What I want to know is what's the limit for rear lights? And how come the Focus and Punto can get away with having them so high? Surely they'd fail an SVA test?

I can't remember the regs (they change all the time anyway), but basically they can't be too low as visibility is reduced.

If it's higher that's not such of a problem as you can see them! (Obviously buses/lorries are much higher than a focus)

Googled quickly (SVA lights) and found this:

Lights:

Hazards needed.

Width dimensions – maximum 400mm from edge of headlamp to most extreme projection.

Height – minimum 350mm from bottom of light to ground.

Rear lights – minimum 250mm from ground.

Reflectors (not triangular), red, on rear of front mudguard, facing to the rear.

Must have two stop lamps, separate from each other.

Registration plate must be illuminated.

Indicator lights – height, minimum 350mm from ground.

If fogs or reversing lights are fitted, they must work. Are optional.

Light switches – if fitted, must work.

Current lights have a facility to adjust.

......how come Landrover can get away with having the brakelights at the bottom in the bumper but the fog lights in the cluster with the indicators? Surely it's the wrong way round.

IIRC they had to move the Discovery tail light cluster because it was obscured by the spare wheel when the back door was open.

the reverse lights on the focus are too low imo....had a woman nearly reverse into me the other day in a supermarket car park and i didn't realise cos i couldn't see her damn reverse light!

they dont look low :rolleyes:

maybe your car is too high :)

is that only applicable to rear fog lights?

is this the first instance of a regulation that makes sense... ie you dont neeed an indicator for front lights as you can see when theyre on?!

I'm pretty sure you need one for that too...and they all have to be clearly labelled or have the universal sign on them.

Don't get me started on the SVA rules... it took me three attempts to pass :complain:

Reversing lamps are optional

SCHEDULE 14 (Regulation 20) requirements relating to optional reversing lamps

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_19.htm#nsch14requirementrelatingoptionalreversinglamp

It says it's optional for "A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985"

For a "motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985" You require one with an approval mark.

It says it's optional for "A motor vehicle first used before 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured before 1st October 1985"

For a "motor vehicle first used on or after 1st April 1986 and a trailer manufactured on or after 1st October 1985" You require one with an approval mark.

I read that as meaning that an approval mark is required for vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986 if a reversing light is fitted. I don't see any requirement to fit one in the first place.

I wonder if that means that all Japanese imports, strictly speaking, have illegal reversing lamps?

it doesn't really matter anyway... I wouldn't want a car without them, I like to see where I'm reversing :)

I wonder if that means that all Japanese imports, strictly speaking, have illegal reversing lamps?

They will have a marking on them somewhere.

The rules aren't terribly clear to read (and open to some interpretation causing all sorts of arguments at test time - expecially when test centres themselves vary their interpretation too!)

• 2 weeks later...