The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Spray Paint for Engine bits

Stonkin

I'm having a tidy up of my engine bay this w'end, including a hose technique kt, polished cam covers and spraying the plastic fuse covers and spark plug cover.

I'm trying to find what paint to use. I've been recommended by quite a few to use a 2 pack paint, ie, it contains everything. But everywhere i'm trying just look at me funny when i ask for that.

I'm just after a white spray paint that will last, look good on these parts.

Supro, that place you recommended i go to in Finchampstead, i went today and it had burned down! When did you last go there? :)

Thanks

Christian

So if i was just to get a grey plastic primer, and a spray tin of white paint (they had one there that handled temps up to 120Deg) and then a tin of some petrol resistant lacquer?

Would it need to be sanded down in between doing the primer and paint?

So if i was just to get a grey plastic primer, and a spray tin of white paint (they had one there that handled temps up to 120Deg) and then a tin of some petrol resistant lacquer?

Would it need to be sanded down in between doing the primer and paint?

why would you want petrol resistant lacquer??

just a grey primer sand then a 2k paint and then preferably a 2k lacquer ;)

Supro, that place you recommended i go to in Finchampstead, i went today and it had burned down! When did you last go there? :)

Thanks

Christian

lol, I used the Autopaint in Luton. It's the same paint as your bodywork. They know it as '2 pack' so does the guy who did the painting. I think 'Mr angry/Steve' used plasticote and it was ok. Just make sure it's not cellulose paint otherwise it will bubble and crack.

Surface should be cleaned and degreased. Maybe a light sanding too.

SupraSport - just from reading other threads it seems some had used a petrol resistant lacquer as a better protection.

Cheers Ro, think i'm best getting some primer then, some of this plasticote stuff and some lacquer.

Thanks for your help, especially Ro, i know i've discussed this several times with you now. Just dont wana cock it up, and for once would rather have a go myself...

bottom line any tin of aerosol will work, your not talking high temperatures,

but your original post mentioned 2k so thought you were going for it

just a tin of halfords or similiar primer then a colour, then preferably a laquer to make it last and shine.

sure it will look great. think your worrying to much mate, just go for it :yes:

Guest gzaerojon

nothing to do with paint but just some advice about changing cam covers.

this stumped me a bit but there's 2 studs to the front and back of each cam cover (4 in total) mixed with the other bolts that you have to remove using 2 nuts locked against each other. you can't just lift the covers over the studs. (as i thought)

just thought i'd say :D

Oh thanks! :)

just when i'm getting over the spray problem you throw that at me! No thanks, seriously. Do i need any particular tools out of the ordinary for the cam covers and do the bolts need to be tightened to a certain torque setting?

Cheers

Guest gzaerojon

lol no worries :whistle:

nothing much really, just a socket set and allan keys.

take out all the bolts you can and you will be left with the 4 studs. you just need to grip them enough to wind them out. i normally put 2 nuts on the stud and then tighten them up against each other, then just use the lower nut to undo them.

i recon its a half hour to an hour job:scare:

Yo...SupRo...your brave man, Autopaint paint is trueley horrid stuff! i use A.R. Davies in Royston/baldock or Paint Factors in St albans! Actualy Ro, as your a luton man, id use Eurocolour by the L & D Hospital

lol! No it's not! absolutely fine, loadsa people use them! Eurocolour is good but much more expensive!

bottom line any tin of aerosol will work, your not talking high temperatures,

but your original post mentioned 2k so thought you were going for it

just a tin of halfords or similiar primer then a colour, then preferably a laquer to make it last and shine.

sure it will look great. think your worrying to much mate, just go for it :yes:

Not true, It does get hot especially BPU cars. You've got direct engine/oil heat from the cam covers and heat from the sparkplgs. Basic/cheap Cellulose paint will blister and crack (has happened to me!)

As I say people have been happy with plasticote or use same stuff as your bodywork - 2 pack which is paint and hardener that acts as a laquer too.

Christian, just make sure it's not cellulose paint and you'll be ok

:)

Good luck!